Before you try these steps, attempt to automatically configure SUMail on the blackberry using the Exchange feature.
First Steps - Get information needed to configure the Blackberry
- Log into your SUmail account using the web interface at: https://sumail.syr.edu.
- Select "Options" in the top right of the main mail screen and then "See All Options..."
- If you are not already on the "Account" page, select it.
- Select "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..."
A screen like this one will appear –
the values for your account may differ. Make note of the values for SMTP and IMAP for your specific account.
Blackberry devices may pick up the wrong email servers when using automatic configuration. Follow these steps to setup SUmail on your Blackberry:
- If you have already tried to configure your Blackberry for SUMail and it is not working properly, please delete/remove the syr.edu email account and restart.
- Setup a new syr.edu email account, but at the place for your password, enter 1234567. After trying to process this information the setup will fail and allow you to manually configure your device. This is expected behavior!
- Your Blackberry should now be informing you that it is not able to configure your account and offering you alternatives. Select option #1 "I will provide the settings to add this email account" (You may need to re-enter your CORRECT password) and click Next.
- Your Blackberry should now inform you again that it was unable to setup your account and prompt you to select the type of account you want to configure. Select #1 "Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)" and click Next.
- You are now prompted to select the method that indicates the way you access this email account. Select #1 "I will provide the settings to add this account" and click Next.
- To configure this email account, complete the fields below:
- Email address = email@example.com
- User Name = firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password = ******** (this would be your netid password )
- Server = use the "Server Name" value from the "IMAP Setting" section that you noted during the "First Steps" above (NOTE: Different blackberry operating systems may have different fields available in this section. If optional settings are available, enter the values below)
- Optional IMAP Server = use the "Server Name" value from the "IMAP Setting" section that you noted during the "First Steps" above
- Optional SMTP Server = use the "Server Name" value from the "SMTP Setting" section that you noted during the "First Steps" above