Table of Contents
You must have SP3 for Outlook 2007 installed and be patched up-to-date to access SUmail using Outlook 2007.
Steps for setting up Outlook 2007 with SUmail:
Works for both on campus and off-campus students
First, get the values you will need to enter when you manually configure the device:
- Log into your SUmail account using the web interface at: https://sumail.syr.edu.
- Select "Options" in the top right of the main mail screen and then "See All Options..."
- If you are not already on the "Account" page, select it.
- Select "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..."
A screen like the one below will appear –
The values for your account may differ. Make note of the value for SMTP for your specific account.
- Start Outlook2007
- Click on Tools->Account Settings
- The default tab selection should be "Email". If not select it.
- Click on "New"
- Select "Email Account"
You may be able to configure your SUmail account automatically simply by entering your username (email@example.com) and password. If this does not work, then you can manually configure Outlook to access your SUmail account.
- After clicking on "New," select "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP" and click "Next"
- Select the "Manually configure server settings or additional types" and click "Next"
- Select "Internet E-Mail" and click "Next"
- Now enter the following information
- User Information:
- Your Name : enter your name here
- Email Addr : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Server Information:
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: Use the information from IMAP server name that you retrieved above
- Outgoing mail server: Use the information from SMTP server name that you retrieved above
- Logon Information:
- Username : email@example.com
- Password : your password
- User Information:
- Make sure that "Remember Password" is selected and "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" is NOT SELECTED.
- Click on "More Settings"
- Click on "Advanced" Tab
- Under "Incoming Server IMAP", for "Choose the following type of encrypted connection," use the method from IMAP setting that you retrieved above. If you are given an option to change the port, use the port number you retrieved in IMAP setting (in this example, 993)
- Under "Outgoing Server SMTP", for "Choose the following type of encrypted connection" use the method from SMTP setting that you retrieved above. If you are given the option to change the port, use the port number you retrieved in SMTP setting (in this example, 587)
- Now Select the "Outgoing Server" Tab
- Select "My outgoing server(SMTP) requires authentication"
- Make sure "Use same settings as my incoming server" is selected
- Click "OK"
- Click "Next" and then click "Finish"