First, get the values you will need to enter when you manually configure the device:
- Log into your SUmail account using the web interface at: https://sumail.syr.edu.
- Select "Options" in the top right of the main mail screen and then "See All Options..."
- If you are not already on the "Account" page, select it.
- Select "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..."
A screen like this one will appear –
- With Outlook 2010 open, click on the orange File tab. Click on the Account Settings button, and select the Account Settings window that drops down.
- In the new window that pops up, click on "New..." under the E-mail tab to create a new account.
- Select "Email Account"
You may be able to configure your account automatically by simply entering your username (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your password. If this does not work, you will need to manually configure Outlook to access SUmail.
- Select "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" in the account setup window. Click Next.
- Choose "Internet E-mail". Click Next.
- Fill in the e-mail settings as follows in the Internet E-mail Settings window:
- Under User Information:
- Your Name: Type in your name.
- E-mail Address: Your SU email address - NetID@syr.edu
- Under Server Information:
- Account Type: Select IMAP
- Incoming Mail Server: use the value from server name in the IMAP setting section you retrieved above
- Outgoing Mail Server: use the value from server name in the SMTP setting section you retrieved above
- Logon Information:
- User Name: Your email address - NetID@syr.edu (by default, this will be filled in as just your netid. Be sure to change to email@example.com)
- Password: Your SU Mail password.
- Make sure the box next to "Remember password" is checked
- Make sure the box next to "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" is NOT checked
- Under User Information:
- Click on the More Settings button
- In the Advanced tab, under "Incoming Server (IMAP):" change the port number to match what you retrieved above for IMAP setting (in this example, 993). Change the encryption type to match what you retrieved in IMAP setting above (in this example, SSL)."
- In the same tab, under "Outgoing Server (SMTP):" change the port number to match what you retrieved above for IMAP setting (in this example, 587). Change the encryption type for the outgoing server to match the one you retrieved for SMTP setting above (in this example, TLS).
- Click OK
- Click on "More Settings" again.
- Click on the "Outgoing Server" tab and check the box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." Select "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" if it is not already selected.
- Back in the Internet E-Mail Settings window, click Next.
- The "Test Account Settings" windows will appear. it will test logging into the incoming mail server and send a test email. Both should complete successfully. If not, double-check your settings.
- Click Finish, and close the Account Settings window.
- Click on the Send/Receive tab. Click the Send/Receive All Folders button to update your account with the IMAP folders and any mail you have on the server.