Tips on Using Microsoft Windows Mail with SUmail.
Table of Contents
Steps for Using Microsoft Windows Mail with SUmail
- Start Windows Mail.
- From the menu bar at the top of the Windows Mail screen, select Tools > Accounts.
- At the Internet Accounts window, click the Add button
- Select E-Mail Account and click Next.
- Enter the following, clicking the Next button after each screen:
- Display name (as you would like it to appear in your outgoing mail)
- E-mail Address (your NetID@syr.edu)
- Incoming e-mail server type is IMAP (choose IMAP from list)
- Incoming mail (IMAP) server: outlook.office365.com (if this does not work, try POD51000.OUTLOOK.COM)
- Outgoing e-mail (SMTP) server name: SMTP-HOST.SYR.EDU
- Outgoing server requires authentication (check box)
- E-mail username (your NetID@syr.edu)
- Password (your NetID password)
- Check the box in front of "Remember password"
- At the Congratulations screen, check the box in front of "Do not download my e-mail and folders at this time"
- Click the Finish button to close the account setup wizard.
- At the Internet Accounts window, select POD51000.OUTLOOK.COM and click the Properties button
- Do all of the following:
- On the General tab, under Mail Account, change "POD51000.OUTLOOK.COM" to "SUmail (IMAP)". Make sure that the box is checked in front of "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing."
- On the Servers tab, under Outgoing Mail Server, make sure the box in front of "My server requires authentication" is checked and then click the Settings button. Select "Logon on using" and enter your
- e-mail username (your NetID only this time, NOT your email address) and password (your NetID password). Check the box in front of "Remember password" and click the OK button.
- On the Advanced tab, check the box in front of "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" under BOTH Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (IMAP)
- When finished with the above, click the OK button
- At the Internet Accounts screen, click the Close button.
- At the prompt "Would you like to download folders from the mail server you added?" click the Yes button.
- At the Show/Hide IMAP Folders screen, click the Cancel button.
Help Managing Your SUmail IMAP Account in Windows Mail
- From the Windows Mail menu bar, select Help > View Help.
- In the Windows Help and Support window, click in the Search Help box.
- Type in the keyword IMAP and hit Enter.
- Click on a topic to read the associated help.