SUmail uses IMAP technology. That means when you use a third-party e-mail package to read your mail (i.e. Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, Apple mail, etc.), the mail and folders that appear in your third-party client are replicas of the mail and folders that are in your SUmail account. Deleting e-mail or folders in either SUmail or in your third-party client will permanently remove the e-mail/folders from both SUmail and your third-party e-mail system. In order to save e-mail indefinitely, you must create personal or local folders in your e-mail client and move the e-mail into those folders.
Regardless of which third-party e-mail package you use, you must determine the server settings that your third-party e-mail package can use to access the SUmail server:
IMAP and SMTP server values
- Log into your SUmail account using the web interface at: https://sumail.syr.edu.
- Select "Options" in the top right of the main mail screen and then "See All Options..."
- If you are not already on the "Account" page, select it.
Select "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..." A screen like this one will appear –
Special directions for setting up SUmail with the following email packages:
- SUmail - Configuring Apple Mail (Snow Leopard)
- SUmail - Configuring Apple Mail (Lion and Mountain Lion)
- Adding Your SUmail IMAP Account to Qualcomm Eudora 7
- Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 with SUmail
- Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 with SUmail
- Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 with SUmail
- Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2016 with SUmail
- Using Microsoft Outlook Express with SUmail
- Using Microsoft Windows Mail with SUmail
- Using SUmail with Thunderbird