You will configure Thunderbird to "see" your SUmail account.You will need to know your Syracuse University NetID and official email address (YourNetID@syr.edu) to complete this process.
Adding your SUmail account to Thunderbird
- Start Mozilla Thunderbird (if not already running).
- From the menu bar at the top of the Mozilla Thunderbird screen, select Tools > Account Settings.
- At the Account Settings window, click the Account Actions button and select Add Mail Account.
- In the Mail Account Setup Wizard, enter the following, clicking the Continue button after each screen:
- Your Name (as you would like it to appear on your outgoing mail)
- E-mail Address (YourNetID@syr.edu)
- Password (your NetID Password)
Thunderbird will attempt to find the settings for your email account.
Click the stop button.
- Click the Stop buttonand enter the following information:
- Incoming Server: outlook.office365.com, IMAP, port 993, SSL/TLS (if this doesn't work, try pod51000.outlook.com, IMAP, 993, SSL/TLS)
- Outgoing Server: SMTP-HOST.SYR.EDU, SMTP, 465, SSL/TLS
- Click the Re-test Configuration button.
- Click the Create Account button.
- Account Name: change YourNetID@syr.edu to SUmail (IMAP)
- Click the OK button to save your account settings.
- At the main Thunderbird screen, in the Folders list on the left-hand side, click on the icon for SUmail (IMAP) and click Read Messages.
You now should see your SUmail folders in Thunderbird and be able to view individual messages.