You will configure Thunderbird to "see" your SUmail account.You will need to know your Syracuse University NetID and official email address (YourNetID@syr.edu) to complete this process.
Adding your SUmail account to Thunderbird
- Start Mozilla Thunderbird (if not already running).
- From the menu bar at the top of the Mozilla Thunderbird screen, select Tools > Account Settings.
- At the Account Settings window, click the Account Actions button and select Add Mail Account.
- In the Mail Account Setup Wizard, enter the following, clicking the Continue button after each screen:
- Your Name (as you would like it to appear on your outgoing mail)
- E-mail Address (YourNetID@syr.edu)
- Password (If you have using Multi Factor Authentication you will need to use an App password)
Thunderbird will attempt to find the settings for your email account.
Click the stop button.
- Click the Stop button and enter the following information :
- Incoming Server: outlook.office365.com, IMAP, port 993, SSL/TLS
- Outgoing Server: smtp.office365.com, SMTP, port 587, Encryption method: STARTTLS
(This information can be found my logging into your SUmail account, clicking on the Settings icon in the upper right corner of the screen and typing IMAP in the Search field below the word Settings)
- Click the Re-test Configuration button.
- Click the Create Account button.
- Account Name: change YourNetID@syr.edu to SUmail (IMAP)
- Click the OK button to save your account settings.
- At the main Thunderbird screen, in the Folders list on the left-hand side, click on the icon for SUmail (IMAP) and click Read Messages.
You now should see your SUmail folders in Thunderbird and be able to view individual messages.