Web Accessibility Resources and Guidelines
Web Accessibility Resources
HTML Accessibility Resources from webAIM.org
- webAIM.org is a leader in providing excellent resources for learning about HTML accessibility. (Webaim)
- This WCAG 2.0 Checklist describes, in general terms, the guidelines for accessible web content. (Webaim)
- brings together the W3C's recommendation as well as WebAIM's own plain-language version so they can be compared side-by-side.
- Creating accessible fly-out menus (W3C Web Accessibility Initiative)
- Good example of accessible navigation (Univ. of Pennsylvania)
- Accessible dropdown menus revisited (Terrill Thompson blog, Dec. 2, 2013)
- Good example of accessible navigation with responsive design (Pacific ADA Center)
- This lists the most common accessibility errors and gives step by step instructions on how to fix them. [MS Word document] (SU ITS)
- Having trouble deciding if your image needs alt text or what it should be? This decision tree will help. (4Syllables)
- Great article on how to use headings to convey structure and when not to use headings.
- lynda.com has several videos on WordPress accessibility. Log in with your SU ID to view them. Search for "Accessibility for WordPress."
Creating Accessible online forms
Web Accessibility Techniques
- This quick guide will assist you in applying basic accessibility enhancements your WordPress site.
- This short guide provides basic techniques for improving the accessibility of your Cascade site.
Mobile Accessibility Guidelines and Testing
- Mobile Accessibility at W3C
- How WCAG 2.0 guidelines apply to mobile (W3C Web Accessibility Initiative)
- Mobile Accessibility QA Testing Checklist (PaulJAdam.com)
- Mobile Accessibility Tests (Henry Swan's blog)
- Google Accessibility Scanner - suggests accessibility improvements for Android apps
Best practices for designing accessible mobile apps
- Usability - Accessibility (Material Design)
- Why mobile accessibility matters - best practices to make your mobile site accessible (mobiForge)
Screen reader testing on mobile devices
Web Accessibility Checkers
- SU has a site license for Cyxtera Compliance Sheriff
- Request a Compliance Sheriff account
- Step by step instructions for evaluating the most important accessibility checkpoints using the WAVE Web Accessibility Evaluation tool
- WebAIM - Quick Reference: Testing Web Content for Accessibility
- How does your website stacks up to WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines? Use this checker online checker or for frequent use install the Chrome Extension. (Webaim)
- Quick Reference: Testing Web Content for Accessibility using the WAVE tool
- Checks for WCAG compliance and provides tools for modifying colors to enhance contrast (Vision Australia)
- This is a compiled list of other web accessibility evaluation tools. (W3C)
- This is an evaluation tool that can be saved to your bookmarks. It is very easy to save and use!