Table of Contents
Table of Contents
We have just started cataloging the Savada gift. Instructions and further details are on this page.
Popular music and Jazz
Much of the cataloging we are doing has been popular. Please look here for specific guidelines for cataloging popular music. [No matter which project you are working on]
Batch processing (Columbia label)
We are using batch processes with minimal intervention to identify and import existing MARC records for Belfer material.
Columbia label cataloging procedures
DECCA 78s (Project Finished)
We are uniting and upgrading the current skeleton records for Decca 78s. We moved on to other labels.
Wax cylinders are being digitized, the electronic files and worksheets are going to cataloging, where we upgrade the current cylinder records, bring the better records into the local catalog, create a Dubln Core record and enter the files with the metadata into ContentDM.
GENERAL BELFER INFO
List of links useful for cataloging music scores and sound recordings (March 2014): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D6ZcucT-F3TlYRnNcQsWrN6Fyn6wWI5uz0dVdKlXC7g/edit#
Indicating the role of individuals
For all titles cataloged for Belfer, please indicate role of a person or group in a |4 after their name. The |4 is for the relator code. The most common codes we will use are:
- Arranger [arr] Use for a person or organization who transcribes a musical composition, usually for a different medium from that of the original; in an arrangement the musical substance remains essentially unchanged.
- Composer [cmp] Use for a person or organization who creates a musical work, usually a piece of music in manuscript or printed form.
- Conductor [cnd] Use for a person who directs a performing group (orchestra, chorus, opera, etc.) in a musical or dramatic presentation or entertainment.
- Instrumentalist [itr] Use for a person or organization who principally plays an instrument in a musical or dramatic presentation or entertainment.
- Lyricist [lyr] Use for a person or organization who is the a writer of the text of a song.
- Musician [mus] Use for a person or organization who performs music or contributes to the musical content of a work when it is not possible or desirable to identify the function more precisely.
- Performer [prf] Use for a person or organization who exhibits musical or acting skills in a musical or dramatic presentation or entertainment, if specific codes for those functions ([act], [dnc], [itr], [voc], etc.) are not used. If specific codes are used, [prf] is used for a person whose principal skill is not known or specified.
- Vocalist [voc] Use for a person or organization who principally exhibits singing skills in a musical or dramatic presentation or entertainment.
Example 100 1 Sinatra, Frank, ‡d 1915-1998. |4 voc Example 700 1 Grossman, Bernie, |d 1885-1951. |4 lyr