As of January 2009 the large majority of our Monographic print titles are purchased "shelf ready" and do not go through the cataloging department. Other print resources will be purchased with cataloging records. It is our policy that we will accept these records as is and not try to enhance them.
1. Match the record in Summit with book in hand: (If a dust jacket exists, throw it out)
*Name in 100 should be in the book *Title in 245 should be on the book *Publisher in 260 should match record *Edition statement should match record if one is in the book. *If you have volume 2 and the 300 field is for a single volume report as a problem.
2. If the volume in hand is part of a multivolume set:
- Does the volume have an individual title?
- If so are there records in Summit for both the individual and/or the set?
- Follow the precedent, if other volumes have been added to a set record, add this one. If other volumes were cataloged separately do that.
- If we don't own other volumes and significantly more access is given by the individual records, then catalog on the individual records.
- If we don't own other volumes and the volumes don't have separate titles or there is little to be gained by cataloging on separate records, then put all volumes on the set record.
3. The record needs a call number. If it lacks one, create one. Have your supervisor review the call number. Reminder: First look on OCLC and see whether the record has been updated to include a call number.
4. Record needs at least one subject heading. If it lacks one create one. Have your supervisor review the subject headings you created. Reminder: First look on OCLC and see whether the record has been updated to include a call number.
5. If record contains 856 related resources. Add these fields to the MFHD.
6. If record needs a 590 gift note or fund note, add to the bib record.
7. Add a 948 statistics line for a new title or a gift.
8. If you have a See Reference in the validation box, you must change the See Reference to the appropriate authorized heading. If you have a non-existent heading in a 650 or 651, and they are not second indicator 0, delete them. If they are second indicator 0, its a problem and you should check OCLC for a correct heading.
9. Write the call number in the book. On the first page facing the cover. If this area is a dark color, apply a white label and write on that.
10. Complete the MFHD 852 field with item's permanent location and call number. Add any 866 fields necessary if it is a multivolume title.
11. Create item record.
12. Update holdings on OCLC. (If a Non Yankee)