NSF requires a biographical sketch for each individual identified as senior personnel. Until October 23, 2023, applicants may use SciENcv or an NSF fillable PDF to prepare their biographical sketches. All applicants must use SciENcv to prepare their biographical sketches after the October 23 deadline. Detailed information about the content is available in the Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) Chapter II.H.(i).a. In particular, note a new reference table entitled, NSF Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support.
The National Science Foundation has designated the National Institutes of Health’s SciENcv (Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae) as an NSF-approved format for submission of biographical sketch(es). NSF encourages its use to prepare a biographical sketch for inclusion in proposals to NSF. SciENcv allows the researcher to create and maintain their NSF Biographical Sketch quickly and to integrate publications and other profile information from ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier). Syracuse University Subject Librarians are available to assist researchers, faculty, and staff with setting up and managing ORCID profiles.
- SciENcv will produce an NSF-compliant PDF version of the biographical sketch.
- Researchers own and control all information on their SciENcv profiles.
- Users can populate their SciENcv accounts by linking their profiles to existing databases or manually entering information.
- Proposers must save these documents and submit them as part of their proposals via Research.gov.
- FAQs on using SciENcv
NSF Fillable PDF
Alternatively, applicants can use NSF's fillable PDF until October 23, 2023.
- Proposers can download the form from NSF’s Biographical Sketch page, complete the form, and upload it as part of their proposal via Research.gov.
- NSF Webinars/Webcasts-office hours with program directors and archive of recorded webinars
- SciENcv Guidance on Creating an NSF Biographical Sketch, including step-by-step instructions and screenshots for each of the four required sections. (This is a subsection of the guidance at SciENcv Help.)
- YouTube Video - SciENcv for NSF Users: Biographical Sketches
- YouTube Video - SciENcv Tutorial
- YouTube Video - Integrating with ORCID