Application and Eligibility
The ASA Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant is available to any doctoral student at an institution accredited and having a campus in the U.S. who is working on a scientifically rigorous project that is grounded in sociology and will help advance sociology. This includes international students studying at U.S. institutions as well as students doing sociological research in departments other than sociology. Learn more.
Format and Materials
All proposals for ASA Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grants must include these application materials and formats.
These frequently asked questions will be helpful to PhD students who are considering applying for the ASA Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant. See FAQs.
Application Submission Process
For a PhD student in the Maxwell School, here are the steps to submit a DDRIG application to ASA. Caroline McMullin (email@example.com) is Maxwell’s Research Administrator in the Office of Sponsored Programs; there are a few times along the way (detailed below) when you will work with her.
- Go to the ASA Application Portal.
- Create a new account or, if you have previously submitted a grant application to ASA, enter the email address and password associated with your account. For Institution Name, use "Syracuse University"; for Institution Address, use "211 Lyman Hall, Syracuse NY 13244," which is the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Find “ASA Dissertation Improvement Grant” in the program list and click “Apply.”
- Follow the application instructions to complete the required fields and prepare your materials. You can save and come back to an in-progress application.
- For the Budget and Budget Justification sections: Applicants should download the Excel budget template, enter the appropriate information, convert to PDF format, and then upload the PDF to their application. The template can be found here. Along with the proposed budget itself, proposals must include a budget justification, explaining and justifying each budget line. The budget justification should be no longer than three pages single spaced.
- Be sure to follow the program guidelines to only include allowable costs.
- Send your completed Excel budget template and budget justification to Caroline for review and approval.
- An internal-only form (i.e., you will not send it to ASA), complete the SU OSP Internal Routing and Review Form and obtain approval signatures. You will submit this form to Caroline when your application is ready for her final review before you submit it to ASA.
- Once given the go-ahead from Caroline, log back into the application portal and submit to ASA.