- Direct dial, long-distance service is not provided. but students can use prepaid phone cards or other long distance services that provide toll-free access.
- SU students can use prepaid phone cards or other toll-free options to make long-distance phone calls from residence-hall courtesy phones.
Cellular phone services
- The vast majority of SU students use cellular services for their telephone needs.
- Cingular (AT&T), Verizon Wireless, Nextel, Sprint, and T-Mobile are among the cellular phone carriers that provide service in the Syracuse area.
- Some cellular service providers offer discounts on service and equipment to SU students.
- Landline service in Residence Halls
- Students can subscribe to landline telephone service in their residence-hall rooms. Service is provided by Verizon.
- The fee for this service covers local calls, on-campus calls, toll-free, caller ID, call waiting, three-way calling, speed calling, call trace, and emergency dialing. Direct dial, long-distance service is not provided. but students can use prepaid phone cards or other long distance services that provide toll-free access.
- Students will need to bring their own telephone to plug into the phone jack in their room.
- Cordless phones that operate at 2.4GHz are not recommended, as they may interfere with other wireless technologies.
- Courtesy phones are located in the lobby of each residence hall.
- The phones can be used to reach emergency services, to dial campus phone numbers (those that begin with 443/442) and for local calls within the Syracuse calling area.
- The courtesy phones can also be used with calling cards or toll-free numbers to place long-distance calls.
- Courtesy phones are not available in South Campus apartments.