Get the most out of SU's wireless network!
To take full advantage of AirOrangeX, the preferred wireless network at Syracuse University, you will want to pay attention to what wireless adapter is used on your client device. With tablets, smartphones, and new Apple laptops, you may not have a lot of choice. But for Windows laptops or mobile devices that do have wireless options, make sure that you invest in an 802.11ac adapter, if possible. If 802.11ac is not an option, then look for a dual-band 802.11n offering that supports 802.11n in both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz. When ordering laptops from manufacturer sites, look for upgrade options if needed to get 11ac or dual-band 11n. This is money well-spent for the increased performance these technologies give.
AirOrangeX supports these standards, at varying speeds and throughputs:
Please note - 802.11b IS NOT supported on campus. Also, any device that will be used on AirOrangeX MUST support 802.1x authentication and WPA2 Enterprise encryption. ITS does not support pre-shared passwords or any other consumer-grade security options.
Wireless Access at SU
AirOrangeX (AOX), Syracuse University's high-speed wireless network provides an encrypted secure connection (802.1x) to the SU network.
The wireless network is now available in all University residential facilities, South Campus apartments, and in many University buildings located both on and off campus. All residential facilities have 100% wireless coverage. See our wireless locations and hotspots.
AirOrangeGuest wireless access is also available for SU guests on a temporary basis.
For SU Students, Faculty and Staff
- Wireless access is available through AirOrangeX for laptops and mobile devices.
- In order to take full advantage of SU's high-speed Wi-Fi environment, you will need a device that supports the 802.11ac (preferred) or 802.11n.
- Using your own wireless routers and Apple AirPorts anywhere on campus is prohibited.
- Go to http://AirOrangehelp.syr.edu for more information.
- If you are having problems, please bring your laptop or hand-held device to a Service Center for assistance.
Guest Wireless Access at SU
- Wireless access is available for guests with laptops and hand-held devices.
- AirOrangeGuest provides unsecured access and is available on a temporary basis.
- Guest access can be self-sponsored or sponsored by an SU Student, Faculty or Staff member.
- Self-sponsored accounts are available for a shorter period of time than SU-sponsored accounts.
- SU Visitor Wireless Access Guide PDF
For Guests: How to set up Self-Sponsored access
- Self-sponsored accounts will require a text-capable mobile phone to complete the process.
- Connect to AirOrangeGuest wireless network and wait for the Network Guest Service Portal to open on your device. If it doesn’t open on its own, open your browser to http://guestadmin.syr.edu/guest/register.php.
- Follow the instructions
For SU Students, Faculty or Staff: How to set up SU-Sponsored access
- SU-sponsored accounts will require a text-capable mobile phone to complete the process.
- Go to http://guestadmin.syr.edu
- Follow the instructions
- Call us at (315) 443-2677
- Visit a Service Center