As an international student studying in the U.S., you may be able to intern part time, but are restricted by the terms of your visa.

Most international students hold an F-1 visa, which allows them to work in the U.S. but only under certain conditions and in accordance with guidelines and restrictions issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Curricular practical training (CPT) is an off-campus employment option for F-1 students when the practical training is an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program. Before you can begin an internship, your I-20 must be updated to show you have received curricular CPT approval to work in the U.S. You must receive an internship offer letter before you can apply for CPT. The internship start date on your offer letter and the  CPT approval start date listed on your I-20 must match.

You can earn credit and be paid for CPT employment; a social security number is not required to begin employment.  Learn more about Social Security Numbers and Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers. 

Submit paperwork for an updated I-20 with CPT approval directly to the Center for International Services (CIS), which will then obtain approval from USCIS.

More information about CPT is available online. 

  • No labels