This article provides the steps to follow if you get 'code 39 error' which does allow reading or burning of Cd's, mostly observed with XP or Vista
This is a registry issue.
1. Close all open programs.
2. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter.
3. Click on the plus signs next to the following folders:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class -> 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column:
4. If any of the above keys shown in step 3 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete.
5. After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor.
6. Reboot your computer.
7. Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation mark and error code on the CD or DVD drive are gone.
8. After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.