This page describes how you can speed up your computer
Disable unnecessary startup items and services
Many of the programs on your computer are not required on startup and so you can disable them to make your computer run comparitively fast. Below are the steps to do so:
1. Go to Start menu and type "msconfig" in the search bar (or the "Run" option in Windows XP).
2. The following window pops up:
3. Click on "Startup" and uncheck all the items you think you do not need(i.e Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger etc.).
Be careful with not disabling the necessary items like sound drivers
4. Click on "Services" and check the "Hide all Microsoft services" option at the bottom of the window.
5. This will hide all important Microsoft services. Then, you can go ahead and check all other services.
Making changes to the registry
Be sure that you have about 4 GB of RAM on your system. The steps here involve making changes to the registry. Low RAM can cause problems.
1. Go to Start menu and type "regedit".
2. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and click on SYSTEM and then "CurrentControlSet".
3. Under "Session Manager" go to "Memory Management".
4. Click on the "DisablePagingExecutive" option and change the value data to 1.
5. Shutdown and Restart your computer.
Sources and Relevant Links