Getting Around Windows 8
- Swipe from the right to bring up the Charms.
- Swiping from the left edge will bring in a previously opened app - you can cycle through the open apps.
- While in an app, swipe from the top and bottom to bring up menus.
- Closing apps: swipe down from the top and drag app all the way down the screen.
- Hover in the top or bottom right corner to bring up the charms.
- Hover in the bottom left to bring up a shortcut to the Start Screen.
- Hold the mouse in the top left corner to cycle through open apps.
- Hold down the Win and Tab key. A list of open apps appears. Right-click and select close.
Alternatively, while in the app/window you wish to close, press Alt and F4 on the keyboard to close the current app/window.
- Hold down the Alt key and press X to bring up a menu with the Control Panel, Command Prompt, Device Manager, Event Viewer, Task Manager, and other old favorites.
- Opens the Start Screen. If already on the Start Screen, sends you back to last open app or desktop. Selecting the Start charm works the same way.
- Swipe up to get to the login page or press Enter or click the mouse.
The Search Charm is Your Friend
- Press the Win key and then type what you wish to search for; then select the category in which you wish to search (Apps, Settings, Files or search within individual apps).
- Use to find programs, settings, and files. See below for examples:
Command Prompt (select Apps).
Network and Sharing Center (select Settings).
Device Manager (select Settings).