Page tree
  • “Personal effects” coverage and “Collision damage.”  Note that the driver must be the cardholder to allow coverage.

  • If traveler is using a personal (non-SU) credit card for the rental, we are told that “most” are covered under the card carrier's business automobile policy in the U.S. In addition, if the vehicle is rented using SU Contract codes (available on Purchasing website), they are included in “most” of those rentals.  The CDW coverages is different than coverage for personal effects. Travel Policy states: “Travelers may accept "Personal Effects and Personal Accident" coverage to insure against loss of personal items due to theft at their own discretion. However, this expense is not reimbursable.”

  • Risk Management has some helpful information at: the travel policy has:

  • a. Travelers are encouraged to decline "collision damage waivers," also referred to as "loss damage waivers," when traveling in the United States, but to accept this when traveling outside the United States on University business. Travelers outside the United States should inquire with the Rental Car Agency as to what the requirements are within that country and purchase the mandatory insurance required by the country of travel. International insurance coverage is limited to 30 days from the date of contracting the vehicle. Additional coverage is necessary for international rentals lasting longer than 30 days.

  •  i. Travelers using the University Credit Card (and, typically, personal credit cards) are covered under the card carrier's business automobile policy in the U.S. The University Credit Card holder must pay for the car rental and must be the primary driver of the vehicle in order to guarantee coverage.

  •  ii. Travelers using other forms of payment are typically covered under the University's business automobile insurance policy. Full details on the policy are available on the Risk Management website. (

  • No labels