Install Office 365 ProPlus Applications on Windows
Office 365 ProPlus
For more information on the Office 365 ProPlus program, visit Office 365 ProPlus
The PC on which you intend to install Office 365 ProPlus must have Windows 7 or later (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10), at least 1GB of RAM, and at least 3GB of free space on the hard drive. For more details, see the Microsoft page at: Office for Windows system requirements.
1) Login into your SU email account at: sumail.syr.edu (staff and faculty should log into https://portal.office.com). If you are prompted to indicate whether this is a "Work or School account" or a "Microsoft Account," select "Work or School Account."
2) Select the "gear icon" next to your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen
3) Select "Office 365"
4) Select "Software" and then "Office." You should now see a screen with the office icons displayed (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
5) A popup box may appear at the bottom of the screen asking if you want to run or save the setup program for office. Select "Run"
6) A "User account control" box may appear. You will need to allow access by selecting "Yes" for the install to continue.
7) The Office logo now appears. It may take several seconds to load the information for the next step. When it is done, a "Welcome to your new office" screen will appear. Select "Next."
8) During the following steps, you will see a popup window at the bottom right of the screen that says "Office is installing in the background" along with a number indicating the percent complete. Do not turn off your machine or disconnect it from the Internet until office has completed installation.
9) You will be prompted to select either "Use recommended settings" or "No thanks." Pick which option you prefer (you do not need to select "use recommended settings"). When you are ready to agree to the Microsoft license, select "Accept" to continue the install.
10) A short video from Microsoft will play. Select "Next."
OneDrive Not Available in Office 365 ProPlus at SU
As you activate/install Office, information about saving to OneDrive may display. SU accounts do not include OneDrive at this time.
11) Select "sign in" at the next screen.
12) Enter your SU email address (email@example.com)
13) You may be prompted to select between a Microsoft Account and a "Work or School Account." Select "Work or School Account."
14) Enter your netid password when prompted for a password.
15) A screen will appear that says welcome to OneDrive. Select "Next."
NOTE: SU accounts do not currently include access to OneDrive
16) You can now select what theme you want to apply to the installation of office. The theme affects what design is displayed in the office header area.
17) A screen will appear that says "We're getting things ready." You have the option to review a series of slides on Office 365 (select "Take or Look" to start it) or you can select "No, thanks" to skip the slides. This screen will continue to display after the video, or if you select No, until the installation is complete.
18) When the "You're Good to Go" screen appears, the office install is complete. Select "All done" to exit the install.
The office applications are now ready for use.
Install Power BI Desktop on Windows
To install Power BI Desktop on a Windows 7 or newer computer, use the instructions found on our Power BI Desktop Installation Guide.
More information about getting started with Power BI desktop can be found here.
Install Windows 10 via Office 365 ProPlus
Need to install the Windows 10 operating system? Active student can download it with your Office 365 ProPlus subscription. Simply follow the steps located in our Office 365 ProPlus Windows 10 Download Guide.