Large Instrumental Ensembles
Wind auditions for the SU Wind Ensemble and SU Symphony Orchestra will take place the first day of classes, Monday, August 30 (it is a single audition for both ensembles). Required audition material for each instrument will be available on the Setnor web page by July 15. Audition sign-up sheets will be posted on the SU Bands board outside 400 Crouse College beginning Wednesday, August 25. For questions about wind auditions, please contact Dr. Bradley Ethington, Director of Bands (email@example.com). If you are a percussionist, please contact Professor Michael Bull (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange an audition. Auditions for these groups include required excerpts available below. The orchestra auditions for string players are a 2-3 octave scale of the student's choice, a 3-5 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts for your instrument.
- Wind Ensemble meets MWF 12:45–2:05 pm. Please contact Dr. Bradley P. Ethington (email@example.com) for more information. See the excerpts for your instrument to prepare below.
- Orchestra meets MWF 3:45 -5:05 p.m. Please contact Dr. James Tapia (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The orchestra auditions for string players are a 2-3 octave scale of the student's choice, a 3-5 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts for your instrument, below:
Fall 2021 Excerpts
- BASSOON: Bassoon 2021 PDF 1MB
- CLARINET: Clarinet 2021 PDF 1MB
- EUPHONIUM: Euphonium 2021 PDF 1MB
- FLUTE: Flute 2021 PDF 1MB
- FRENCH HORN: French Horn 2021 PDF 1MB
- OBOE: Oboe 2021 PDF 3MB
- SAXOPHONE: Saxophone 2021PDF 1MB
- TRUMPET: Trumpet 2021 PDF 1MB
- TROMBONE: Trombone 2021 PDF 1MB
- TUBA: Tuba 2021 PDF 1MB
- VIOLIN: Violin Audition 2021 PDF 1MB
- VIOLA: Viola Audition 2021 PDF 1MB
- CELLO: Cello Audition Fall 20211MB
- BASS: Bass Audition Fall 2021 1MB
Fall 2021 Ensemble auditions:
Instrumental Big Band, Jazz, Funk and Rock Ensembles
Jazz and Commercial Music (JCM) instrumental ensemble auditions will take place on Sunday, August 23 in Shaffer Art Building, Room 201. JCM instrumental auditions will take place from 12:00 - 8:00 p.m. The Google Sheet sign-up document is available by clicking here.
- Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions will include a self-prepared jazz selection, jazz sight reading (provided), and improvisation over the blues.
- Rhythm section auditions will include a self-prepared jazz selection (with accompaniment track), time keeping/improvisation over the blues, chart/sight reading. Questions: Please contact Dr. John Coggiola.
Vocal Jazz Ensembles, Funk and Rock Ensemble Vocalists
Vocal Jazz Auditions: Auditions for vocal jazz ensembles, and vocal positions in The Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble, Orange Juice Jazz Combo, Jazz/Funk Ensemble, and Citrus Punch (Rock Ensemble) will be held Saturday, August 15 through an online Zoom Video meeting. Go to the Google Sheet sign-up document by clicking here to secure an audition time slot. The audition will include: melodic and rhythmic sight reading, sing the blues and chromatic scales, a prepared performance of either Exactly Like You or Cheek to Cheek, and improvisation over a 12 bar blues in Bb major or rhythm changes in Bb Major. Accompaniment tracks and lead sheets can be found by clicking here. If you use iReal Pro, you may make your accompaniments for Exactly Like You or Cheek To Cheek in a suitable key for your vocal range as long as the tempo is set as a medium swing.