LARGE INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES
Auditions for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble will take place on Monday, August 31 (woodwinds and brass) and Tuesday, September 1 (strings). Sign-up sheets will be posted outside room 402 Crouse College by Thur Aug 27.
Auditions for these groups include excerpts available on the Setnor Resource Page. The orchestra auditions for string players are 2 Scales (major, 2 or 3 octaves as requested by auditioning committee), a 2-3 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts.
- Wind Ensemble meets MWF 12:45-2:05 pm. For more information, contact Dr. Bradley P. Ethington.
- Orchestra meets MWF 3:45-5:05 pm. For more information, contact Dr. James Tapia.
Auditions for select choirs will be on Thursday August 20 (9 am-5 pm), Friday August 21 (9 am-5 pm), Sunday, August 23 (1:00 - 6:00 p.m.), Monday, August 24(9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.), and Tuesday, August 25 (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.). Setnor's select choirs include Hendricks Chapel Choir, Oratorio Society, and University Singers.
All auditions will be held online via Zoom. Please use this link to fill out a form and schedule a time:
No preparation is necessary. The audition consists of vocalization (listening to your tone and determining your vocal range), tonal memory exercises, and sight-singing. There will also be time at the audition to answer any questions you may have about the different choirs we offer. For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hendricks Chapel Choir meets TH 7-9:15 pm
- Oratorio Society meets M 7-9:30 pm
- University Singers meets MWF 2:15-3:35 pm
- Crouse Chorale meets TTH 3:30-4:50 pm
- Setnor Sonority meets TTH 2-3:20 pm
INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL JAZZ, FUNK, AND ROCK ENSEMBLES
Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions for the Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble will take place on Monday, August 31, from 2-5 pm in room 202 Shaffer Art Building. Rhythm section auditions will take place on Monday, August 31, from 6:30-8 pm in room 201 Shaffer.
Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions will include a self-prepared jazz selection, jazz sight reading (provided), and improvisation over the blues. Rhythm section auditions will include chart reading and improvisation in a small group setting. Sign-up sheets for auditions will be posted outside room 202 Shaffer during Opening Weekend.
Vocal Jazz auditions: Auditions for vocal jazz ensembles will be held Monday, August 31, from 3-6 pm in 201 Shaffer. Contact Professor Jeffrey Welcher to secure a time slot. The audition will consist of a jazz standard prepared by the singer, sight-singing, range check, and tonal memory exercises.
- Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble meets TTH 3:30-4:50 pm. For more information, contact Dr. John Coggiola.
- Orange Collective vocal jazz meets MW 3:45-5:05 pm. For more information, contact Dr. John Coggiola.
- Orange Syndicate vocal jazz meets T 12:30-1:50 pm. For more information, contact Dr. John Coggiola.
- Orange Unified meets MW 12:45-2:05 pm. For more information, contact Professor Marianne Solivan.
- Jazz/Funk Combo meets F 10:35– 11:30 am. For more information, contact Dr. John Coggiola.
- Rock Combo (Citrus Punch) meets 11:45 am-12:40 pm. For more information, contact Professor Rick Balestra.
- Jazz Guitar Ensemble meets F 12:45-1:40 pm. For more information, contact Professor Rick Balestra.
- Jazz Combo meets M 11:40 am-12:35 pm. For more information, contact Professor Josh Dekaney.
Auditions, when needed, for chamber ensembles are arranged directly with the faculty member conducting the ensemble.
- Opera Workshop meets MW 3:45 -5:05 pm. For more information, contact Professor Janet Brown.
- Baroque Ensemble meets in the spring semester, TTH 2:00-3:20 pm and is open to all music majors without audition. Non-music majors must audition. For all non-music majors who wish to participate in Baroque Ensemble, contact Professor Janet Brown.
- SU’s Brazilian Ensemble, Samba Laranja, meets TTH 5-6:20 pm. For more information, contact Professor Josh Dekaney.
- Contemporary Music Ensemble meets in the fall semester, TTH 2-3:20 p.m. and is open to all music majors without audition. The ensemble divides into multiple mixed chamber groups to utilize all available players and singers, as well as a free improvisation ensemble. Non-music majors who wish to participate should contact Dr. Alina Plourde.
- Guitar Ensemble meets T 12:30-1:50 pm. For more information, contact Dr. Ken Meyer.
- Percussion Ensemble meets T 12:30-3:15 pm. Students should be able to play multiple percussion instruments and should contact Professor Michael Bull before registering and for more information.
- Saxophone Ensemble meets T 5-6:20 pm. For more information, contact Professor Chris Jabot.
- Steel Band meets MW 5:15-6:35 pm. For more information, contact Dr. David Knapp.
- String Chamber Music groups are scheduled at agreed upon times once the groups are formed. For more information on registering for this program, contact Professor Will Knuth.