Students currently attending Syracuse University who are interested in applying for an intra-University transfer (IUT) into the College of Visual and Performing Arts must meet the following requirements:
- Admission is based upon the cumulative GPA and the portfolio, audition, or transfer intent questionnaire. Arts Education and Music Education students must also adhere to the School of Education requirements.
- Students with a cumulative GPA below 3.0 will be considered (essay required). The essay is a 250–300-word response which explains previous challenges in prior major, what your plans for success are, why you feel VPA is a better fit for you.
- Submit a completed Application for Undergraduate Intra-University Transfer (IUT) form, available for download on the Office of the Registrar website, to Hannah Nast via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Complete program-specific additional requirements as listed below.
- Spring applicants are not accepted for the following: the Department of Film and Media Arts, the School of Design, and the Setnor School of Music. The Department of Drama adheres to the dates and deadlines for incoming students (contact our admissions office for more information). Acceptance to these programs will require four or five years (Industrial Design) in VPA. This is non-negotiable as the degrees cannot be completed in less than their standard sequence.
IUT Information Sessions
- February 3, 10:30am
- March 1, 12pm
*This meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday due to an event on the previously scheduled day.
- April 7, 9:30am
- May 5, 1pm
Note: all meetings will take place on Zoom. Dates listed above are all on Fridays. If there is a conflict with your schedule, set up a meeting with Hannah (email@example.com) through Orange Success. Zoom information below:
Meeting ID: 878 509 5667
School of Art, School of Design, and Department of Film and Media Arts
A portfolio is required for all programs except Design Studies (B.S.). View portfolio requirements.
Entering Fall deadline: May 1
Entering Spring deadline: December 1
Department of Drama
Additional requirements for specific programs are as follows:
- Acting: prescreen, audition
- Musical theater: audition
- Stage management: portfolio
- Theater design and technology: portfolio
- B.S. in drama (theater management): essay and interview
View audition, portfolio, and interview requirements.
Setnor School of Music
An audition is required for all programs. View audition requirements.
Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies
Students cannot have 60 or more credits completed at the time of application.
Entering Fall deadline: March 15
Entering Spring deadline: October 15
Download and submit the completed questionnaire below with IUT application.
CRS Transfer Intent Questionnaire [Word]
When filling out the questionnaire, view this as an opportunity to tell us about yourself, your goals, interests etc. Why CRS? What has inspired you? What has drawn you to the program? Use your judgement for how much to write, be careful of repeating yourself. Be clear and concise. Let your personality come through. As a rule of thumb, it is recommended you write 3-5 sentences for each of the five questions.
For questions about the IUT process and requirements, or how current VPA students can change their major, contact:
Office of Academic and Career Advising, Hannah Nast, 200 Crouse College, 315.443.2517