Students currently attending Syracuse University who are interested in applying for an intra-University transfer (IUT) into the College of Visual and Performing Arts must meet the following requirements:
- Admission is based upon the cumulative GPA and the portfolio, audition, or transfer intent questionnaire. Arts Education and Music Education students must also adhere to the School of Education requirements.
- Submit a completed Application for Undergraduate Intra-University Transfer form, available for download on the Office of the Registrar website, to Hannah Nast in the Office of Academic and Career Advising, 200 Crouse College.
- Complete program-specific additional requirements as listed below.
- The following programs do not accept spring applicants: Film (Department of Transmedia), Communications Design, Environmental and Interior Design, Fashion Design and Industrial and Interaction Design (School of Design); and all programs in the Setnor School of Music. The Department of Drama adheres to the dates and deadlines for incoming students (contact our admissions office for more information). Acceptance to these programs will require four or five years (Industrial Design) in VPA. This is non-negotiable as the degrees cannot be completed in less than their standard sequence.
- Effective immediately: Computer Art and Animation (Department of Transmedia) and the associated minors, Animation and Visual Effects, and Computer Gaming, are closed. We still encourage applications but cannot guarantee acceptance.
Schedule a Meeting
Due to COVID-19, all meetings regarding intra-university transfer will be conducted over the phone or one-on-one Zoom meetings. Schedule a meeting with Hannah Nast (email@example.com) through Orange Success.
School of Art, School of Design, and Department of Transmedia
A portfolio is required for all programs except Design Studies (B.S.). View portfolio requirements.
Entering Fall deadline: May 1
Entering Spring deadline: December 1
Please upload your portfolio to Slideroom: https://suvpa.slideroom.com/#/login/program/56738
Department of Drama
Additional requirements for specific programs are as follows:
- Acting: prescreen, audition
- Musical theater: audition
- Stage management: portfolio
- Theater design and technology: portfolio
- B.S. in drama (theater management): essay and interview
View audition, portfolio, and interview requirements.
Setnor School of Music
An audition is required for all programs. View audition requirements.
Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies
Students cannot have 60 or more credits completed at the time of application.
Entering Fall deadline: Extended to April 15, 2021
Entering Spring deadline: October 15
Download and submit the completed questionnaire below with IUT application.
CRS Transfer Intent Questionnaire [Word]
For questions about the IUT process and requirements, or how current VPA students can change their major, contact:
Office of Academic and Career Advising, Hannah Nast, 200 Crouse College, 315.443.2517