We will only conduct authorizations for groups of no less than 3 and no more than 12 participants. Groups must coordinate sessions with technicians, giving them at least 2 full business days prior to the requested day/time. This will give other users of the space appropriate notice. Shop authorization takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to complete, and will require the shop to close during those hours. General shop authorizations will not be held after midterms. Participants need to have general training in an area to receive a second tier training. To request a training you can email (email@example.com) or speak directly to a shop technician.
General Shop Authorization Information
There are a 3 general shop authorizations that cover common tooling for wood, metal, or plastic fabrication.
Shop authorizations include:
- General Wood
- General Metal
- General Plastic
After successfully completing the shop authorization and signing the safety policy form, students are allowed to use the tools that have been covered during the designated session. Second tear training sessions require a separate training due to the complexity of the process. This needs to be considered when scheduling a training session to prevent over booking and time restraints.
Second tear shop authorizations include:
- Wood Lathe
- Metal Lathe
- Vertical Mill
- Welding (MIG, TIG, Oxy-Fuel)
- Plasma Cutting
Graduate Student After Hours Access (Evenings & Weekends)
- Undergraduates are not eligible for after hours access. Users must follow the criteria outlined in this document, as well as adhere to all existing Shop policy.
- After hours access is allowed in the evenings and on weekends. It may or may not be granted over holidays, summer, or other breaks. Check with the shop technicians.
- After hours access is for graduate students only.
- Users must have undergone the appropriate authorizations to use the facilities (General Wood and Metal shop training minimum).
- ComArt Wood/Metal/Plaster are the only shop spaces available for after hours access.
- Users must have a buddy— someone who will be in the shop with them at all times. Buddies must be working in the same shop area (i.e. both should be in the wood shop if one is woodworking).
- Both users must have the proper authorizations and be dressed appropriately for shop use.
- Requests must be made through the After Hours Access Request form on the VPA Shops Blackboard organization. Requests should be made (24) hours prior to intended use. However, can be made closer to intended use with technician availability.
- The shop technician will confirm that the students have undergone the appropriate shop authorizations at this time.
- They will respond to the request and arrange for key pick up.
- The key may be checked out from a shop technician, preferably on the day of intended use. However alternate arrangements can be made. . For weekends this would be Friday.
- The key should be returned no later than the first hour of the next business day. If you are unable to meet this deadline, then alternate arrangements should be made with a technician before check out.
- Upon entering the shop for after hours access, users (both buddies) must sign in and provide all necessary information. This must be done each time.
- Users are not allowed to access tools that they have not been authorized to use.
- Only users that have submitted the online form are authorized to be in the Shops after hours.
- Shops should not be used from 12 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- Violation of shop policies could result in revocation of unsupervised access and buddy status.
- The following tools are prohibited from use after hours
- TIG, Oxy-fuel, Forge, Foundry, Jointer
- [COVID] Users must wash hands upon entering the shop.
- [COVID] Face-masks must be worn when instructed by the University.
- [COVID] Users should attempt to maintain social distancing of at least 6’, whenever possible.
- [COVID] Users should clean all areas accessed including surfaces, tools, touch points, etc. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
- 71% alcohol wipes may be used for technology and metal surfaces. Disinfectant spray bottles and dry wipes are to be used for most everything else.
- [COVID] Must follow all protocol as outlined by the University, Shops and technicians.
Graduate After Hours Request Form (ComArt Only)