Grants are intended to facilitate the growth of research and creative work in the College of Visual and Performing Arts that might attract external funding. This is so important to our identity that even during this pandemic we will still offer this grant opportunity. All tenured, tenure-track, and non-tenure-track faculty who are full time in VPA are encouraged to apply.
- Small Scale Research and Creative Work grants ($1000-5000)
Funds may be used for:
- travel costs for faculty and/or collaborators essential to the creative initiative (including VPA students)
- data collection or analysis (including via hourly work by VPA students)
- software, supplies, or other related tools and materials essential to research and creative work
- Innovative and collaborative projects such as performances, exhibits, etc.
Funds may not be used for:
- faculty salary or stipends
- program development or evaluation without an accompanying research or creative work component
Proposal Preparation Guidelines
Applications should be submitted via email through full completion of the form available at the VPA website. All necessary information is included in the form. Please follow the link to apply:
- Proposals that include collaboration among and across disciplines are highly encouraged
- Proposals that align with the Syracuse University’s Strategic Plan goals of diversity and equity, global and international collaborations as well as research and creative work that involve students are highly desirable
- Proposal narratives should not exceed 2000 words
- Proposal MUST be also approved in writing by Department Chair. Upload approval letter to the online application form (link below)
- Submit proposals via online form. Deadline for submission is on Friday, October 9, 2020.
- VPA Research and Creative Grants Form Application
Proposal Submission and Evaluation Process
Each application will be reviewed by a committee and the associate dean for research using the following criteria:
Small Scale Research/Creative Work Grants (maximum of 20 points)
- Clarity and merit of the project (5 points)
- Feasibility of the work plan (5 points)
- Potential to attract external funding (5 points)
- Potential to enhance the faculty member’s research or creative activities (5 points)
Please note: DEADLINE FOR USING FUNDS: MAY 15, 2021 (Funds awarded for must be spent and receipts submitted for reimbursement by May 15, 2021. Funds not spent by those deadlines will be returned to the College for reallocation to other applicants. Applicants needing additional time will need to arrange for that with the VPA Office of Budget and Operations).