College of Visual and Performing Arts
Research and Creative Grants Application
Research and Creative Grants are intended to support and encourage the growth of research and creative work in the College of Visual and Performing Arts with the goal of attracting external funding.
Research and Creative Work grants (up to $5000)
All VPA full-time faculty (non-tenure-track, tenure-track, and tenured) are eligible to apply.
Awardees will be required to submit a final report by May 15, 2023, outlining the progress of the project. Additionally, awardees will need to meet with a representative from the Office of Research to identify additional funding opportunities. To allow the funding of multiple projects, 2021 awardees are ineligible to apply in 2022. They will be eligible to apply again in 2023.
Funds may be used for:
- travel costs for faculty and/or collaborators essential to the creative initiative (including VPA students)
- data collection or analysis (including via hourly work by VPA students)
- software, supplies, or other related tools and materials essential to research and creative work
- Innovative and collaborative projects such as performances, exhibits, etc.
Funds may not be used for:
- faculty salary or stipends
- program development or evaluation without an accompanying research or creative work component.
Proposal Preparation Guidelines
- Please follow the link to apply VPA Research and Creative Grants Form Application. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
- Proposals that include collaboration among and across disciplines are highly encouraged
- Proposals that align with the Syracuse University’s Strategic Plan goals of diversity and equity, international collaborations as well as research and creative work that involve students are highly desirable
- Proposal narratives should not exceed 1000 words
- Proposal MUST be also approved in writing by department chair/school director. Upload approval letter to the online application form (link below)
- Submitproposals via online form. Deadline for submission is Monday, October 17, 2022
- Awards will be notified after November 20, 2022
Proposal Submission and Evaluation Process
Each application will be reviewed by a committee external to VPA and by the associate dean for research using the following criteria:
- Clarity and merit of the project (10 points)
- Potential to attract external funding (10 points)
- Feasibility of the work plan (5 points)
- Multidisciplinary collaboration (5 points)
- Collaboration with undergraduate and graduate students (5 points)
- Potential to enhance the faculty member’s research or creative activities (5 points)
Please note: DEADLINE FOR USING FUNDS: MAY 15, 2023 (Funds awarded must be spent and receipts submitted for reimbursement by May 15, 2023. Funds not spent by those deadlines will be returned to the College for reallocation to other applicants. Awardees needing time beyond the deadline to spend their award must submit a request in writing to the Elisa Dekaney, Associate Dean of Research, and Christina Eiffe and Maria Maloof in the Office of Budget and Operations.