These directions are for Students or Faculty/Staff who need to print from a Macintosh computer connected to the SU network via Ethernet, SUAD or AirOrangeX.
If this is a personally-owned Macintosh computer, please verify that you have installed the driver of the corresponding printer before adding the printer in System Preferences. SU-owned Macintosh computers come with the drivers pre-loaded.
1. Under System Preferences, Printers & Scanners click on the plus button. You may need to unlock the Preference Pane.
2. From the Add Printer window right-click on the top title area (anywhere with open grey space) and select Customize Toolbar...
Drag the Advanced (round gear) icon up to the Add Printer title bar. It should then look like:
3. Click on the Advanced item.
4. There are 2 types of queues:
Student queues and Faculty/Staff queues.
Change the Type to Windows, enter the URL of the windows print queue, change the name to match the queue, and enter the room number in the location. You can find the print queue name labeled on the actual printer.
The following applies only to the Faculty/Staff queues with spaces. Student queues are not affected:
If the printer name contains spaces, the spaces must be escaped out by entering "%20" without the quotations INSTEAD of the space.
For example, printer name "VPA-FacultyStaff-Xerox 7556 Crouse 402" should be typed in as "VPA-FacultyStaff-Xerox%207556%20Crouse%20402" without the quotations.
The full URL would then be…
5. Under Choose a Driver or Printer Model, Select Printer Software...
Find your printer model, hit OK.
Click Configure if prompted and setup and optional settings (extra trays, duplex, memory, etc.). Once you hit OK your printer should be installed.
6. When you print for the first time to a SU printer, you will be prompted to authenticate. In the name field please enter "AD\netid" without the quotes then your password.
You are now ready to print!
Students who print to a Papercut printer will be required to login into https://printing.syr.edu with their Net ID and password to release the print job and be charged against their available Papercut funds.
For more information, visit Printing at Syracuse University.