First Term Enrollment Selections (FTES) is the system that Syracuse has in place to assist you in selecting your courses online.
All FTES forms and materials necessary to begin will be available online. By completing and submitting the First Term Enrollment Selections (FTES) form, you will be enabling the College of Visual and Performing Arts to register you for your first semester’s courses. Important: your FTES form must be completed and submitted by mid June.
To ensure a smooth and easy FTES process, have these steps completed prior to starting your FTES form.
- Confirm your browser is compatible with MySlice. For information on which browsers are fully supported, visit MySlice Supported Browsers.
- Activate your Syracuse University NETID and password. Activation instructions are found here: NETID Instructions.
- Transfer credit and exam scores. Gather information on any Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA) credit, transfer credit, Advanced Placement (AP) scores, and International Baccalaureate (IB) scores that you have completed, or plan to complete during the summer. Knowing this information will assist you in completing the FTES form. You are NOT required to obtain official transcript/score reports prior to submitting your FTES form, but you will need these in order to earn credit. If you aren’t sure if your AP or IB scores will qualify for credit, consult the Syracuse University Course Catalog.
- Take placement examinations. If you plan to take a mathematics or language course (other than English) in the fall, you must complete a placement exam. Information on and access to the placement examinations can be found on the ReadySet website (links and instructions can also be found on the first page of the FTES form, on the right-hand side under “Placement Exams”).
- For all other foreign languages, you will have the opportunity to take the placement exams on campus during Syracuse Welcome. For dates and times, view the Syracuse Welcome schedule online (available in early May) or in the hard copy booklet when you arrive.
- Non-native speakers of English: you must take the “English Language Assessment Exam” when you get to campus in August. For date and time information, visit the ReadySet website. If you have questions, contact the Lillian and Emanuel Slutzker Center for International Services at 315.443.2457 or Matthew Hammill, ESOL language coordinator, at 315.443.9484.
- Review welcome email links. There are important links included in the welcome email that you received recently. Please review the “Supply Lists,” which can also be found on our Resources page, as you will need to get these materials prior to your first day of classes.
- Art Supply List: Refer to this list if you are majoring in art education, illustration, studio arts (BS), or studio arts (BFA).
- Design Supply List: Refer to this list if your major will be communications design, environmental and interior design, fashion design, or industrial and interaction design.
- Fashion Design Supply List: In addition to the items on the Design Supply List, fashion design majors will need to have the supplies on this list.
- Drama Clothing List: Department of Drama majors will have this list of recommendations attached to their welcome emails.
- Computer Expectations: VPA-specific computer requirements can be found on our Resources page and is separated by major.
- Read through the instructions for your major and the “Courses Available to First Year Students” list. The instructions that you will need to complete the FTES form are found in Instructions by Major and are in order by major (you can find the same instructions once you have accessed the FTES form by clicking “Instructions: How to Complete this Form” under the heading “Resources” on the right side of page 1). “Courses Available to First Year Students,” which you can view on our Resources page, is the complete list of academic and studio elective classes available to you as a first-year student. You will use this list to choose your elective courses (if applicable to your major) when you get to page 3 of the FTES form.
To access, log into MySlice, locate the “Student Services” listing, and select “Enrollment – First Term Enrollment Selections” to find the FTES form.