In honor and memory of the historic work of American composer/conductor Gregg Smith and the Gregg Smith Singers, the Syracuse University Setnor School of Music, Department of Choral Studies is pleased to announce the 2021 Gregg Smith Choral Composition Contest. This is a biennial event with the specific Syracuse University Setnor School of Music choral ensemble named for each contest.
Award-winning composer will receive a $1,200 prize. The selected composition will be premiered in Spring, 2022 on the Syracuse University campus. Travel expenses to the premiere are the responsibility of the prize recipient. The presence of the winning composer at the premiere is welcomed and encouraged, but not required.
Composer age limit:
Composer must be 21 to 35 years of age at the time of submission.
Scores must be postmarked no later than October 31, 2021.
Choir to present the premiere for Spring 2022:
Crouse Chorale conducted by Dr. Wendy Moy
- 3-4 minutes’ duration
- Unpublished and unperformed works only
- The SU Department of Choral Studies will reserve the right to the world premiere of the winning piece and to release the first recording of the piece until July 1, 2022.
- Accessible 3 or 4-voice work for soprano and alto voice a cappella or accompanied by piano or organ; additional instruments optional
- Crouse Chorale is a treble voice ensemble. Students from any major are welcome in this non-auditioned choir. The choir will perform SSA and SSAA repertoire in 2021-2022.
- Rights to texts must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder’s permission must be shown.
- Composer will retain the copyright of the piece.
- May be secular or sacred
- The SU Department of Choral Studies will retain copies of winning scores for future performances.
- The composer must reside in North America.
- Composer must include a biography, list of works, and proof of age (copy of driver’s license, passport, etc.) with submission.
- The winner will need to submit tax forms in order to receive the prize. Taxes may be withheld from winnings.
Please include your name, email address, postal address, and phone number(s) in a sealed envelope together with your score. Size of original scores must not exceed 8 ½ x 14." No materials will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided.
The winner will be notified by December 1.
Gregg Smith Choral Composition Contest
Department of Choral Studies
208 Crouse College Syracuse University Syracuse, NY 13244-1010
For additional information contact: email@example.com