In addition to coursework and your internship, the VPA LA Semester offers many social and cultural opportunities to enjoy. We encourage you to have some fun while you are here and take full advantage of the California sunshine! You can find out more about Los Angeles and our neighborhoods at DiscoverLosAngeles.com.
We also have a department of Advancement and External Affairs here in Los Angeles, which organizes many special events to engage alumni. Our VPA LA students have the unique opportunity to attend these events while they are here in California.
VPA LA students can arrange for short-term, fully furnished apartments through Kapi Housing.
Visit the website for more information, including a welcome packet and details about the apartments. Click Apply Now and select SULA in the "Choose Your Apartment And Room Type" drop-down menu to see pricing information. Four students in a two-bedroom apartment (two students share a bedroom and bathroom) is the most cost-effective option.
Once you have decided on your room type, complete the application. You can indicate the name of a roommate and two additional housemates if desired, or Kapi can also place you with other VPA LA students.
There is a $500 deposit, due 48 hours after you apply, that will hold the apartment until you sign the lease. You will receive an invoice via email and can pay with a credit card. The $500 is non-refundable if you cancel your reservation. If you sign a lease, the $500 will become your refundable security deposit.
If you have any questions, contact Zack Ismayilov at 949.565.5575 or LosAngeles@KapiResidences.com.
Payment: You can pay Kapi directly on a monthly basis as directed in your lease or you can choose Housing Accommodation and the University will pay your rent on your behalf and bill your Bursar account. If you wish to pay Kapi directly you do not need to notify us. If you choose to utilize the Housing Accommodation, you must complete the Housing Accommodation form. Housing Accommodation can only be used in conjunction with a lease from Kapi Residences. The $500 security/holding deposit is paid to directly to Kapi whether or not you choose complete the Housing Accommodation form.
Los Angeles is a "car-centric" city. Access to a car is the best way to navigate between home, an internship and the Syracuse University Los Angeles Center. Some students use a ride share company like Uber or Lyft instead of arranging for a car. There is a public transportation system in LA but it is limited geographically. Using public transportation may increase commute times and may also require several transfers between trains and buses. Both ride share and public transportation may limit the internships to which students can apply as some internships require that the student have a car.
All transportation options should be researched thoroughly to understand the costs involved and the challenges each mode presents.
How do I get a car to Los Angeles?
This is an individual decision. The three most popular methods are to drive, ship or rent a car from a local car rental company in LA.
How do I ship a car to Los Angeles?
These companies are commonly used by VPA LA students. (Note: This list is provided as a resource; these companies are not affiliated with VPA LA.)
MIG Auto Transport – Receive $50 off an auto transport quote for VPA LA students. Call 904.553.7367.
Montway Auto Transport – Montway offers $50 off for all students and employees of the Syracuse University in Los Angeles. Call 888.666.8929.
RCG Auto Logistics – 10% discount for VPA LA students.
Safeway Car Transport – Safeway offers student discounts as well as group discounts for those shipping more than one car from the same city/state. Contact Mike Newson at Mike@safewaycartransport.com or 800.453.6334.
Tempus Logix Inc. – 7% discount for VPA LA students and employees. Call 818.942.7030.
Students and parents should research this information thoroughly before choosing an option. Please be advised that VPA LA and Kapi Residences cannot accept or release a vehicle on a student’s behalf.
How do I rent a car in Los Angeles?
Enterprise Car Rental - Start an online reservation and enter the Syracuse University promo code 32W5017 to take advantage of the University’s corporate rate. Pick up the car at the Studio City location.
Hertz - Will waive the underage driver surcharge for AAA members. Call 800.654.3131.
Borrow Electric Cars – 10% discount on first month with the code Student10-SU.
For information about California insurance requirements, visit the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
Ride Share Resources
- For every $1 spent on Uber Black and Uber Black SUV, you’ll get 3 points.
- On UberX, UberXL, and Uber Select rides, you’ll get 2 points for every $1 spent.
- With UberPool, Express Pool and Uber Eats, you may earn 1 point for every $1 spent. Other macros
- For more information visit www.uber.com/us/en/u/rewards and www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-rewards/uber-rewards.
- Good for students who take 2-3 rides or more per week
- Costs $19.99 a month
- Will receive 15% in savings on car rides, airport pickups and more
- Learn more about Lyft Pink
- Learn more about Lyft
- Your Syracuse University Zipcar membership will work in California
- Visit Syracuse University Zipcar members page
Los Angeles Metro
Information, timetables, maps, and more
Emergency Information & Plan Guidelines
Below are guidelines to help you prepare for an emergency while participating in the Newhouse LA program. Earthquakes and wildfires are a part of living in the LA area. While unlikely, the possibility remains that an event serious enough to require your evacuation from your residence may occur with little advance notice. Thus, we recommend that all students prepare a “Go Bag” including at least three days of clothes, medications, critical documents, cell phone charger, bottled water, protein bars or other snacks. We also recommend purchasing a flashlight and leaving a pair of shoes under or close by your bed. Included below are guidelines for both earthquakes and wildfires. Please review and keep handy while studying in the LA area.
- If wildfires are reported, be sure to follow the local news and reports on social media for the latest information on the location of the fires and their possible impact. Be sure to check with your internship before travelling there to make sure they will be open for business. If you believe that there is no safe route to your internship, then let them know that you will not be able to get there that day. You are responsible for evaluating your own situation and deciding on a course of action with your safety first as a priority.
- The Newhouse LA staff will also be following the progress of any wildfires and will advise all students accordingly by email, text or What's App with available public information. Please promptly read any messages and reply to check-in requests received . Please note that our staff does NOT have access to special information not otherwise available to the public. We will, however, use our experience as residents of LA to provide you with the best available public information.
- If a students’ housing accommodation is impacted by a wildfire and the LA Fire Department or the Police Department determine that residents are required to evacuate, that student will be asked to contact Newhouse LA staff and proceed to the SULA Center with their “go bag”, provided the area around the SULA Center is not also impacted. In the unlikely event that the SULA Center is also impacted, we advise students to proceed to the nearest Evacuation Facility as designated by the city.
- Newhouse LA staff also reserves the right to order your evacuation if authorities recommend (but do not mandate) an evacuation. Under these conditions, we will evaluate all available public information and determine a course of action. As with mandated evacuations, if we ask you to leave your residence you are asked to come to the SULA Center with your “Go Bag.”
- Please be aware that Newhouse LA staff will be in regular contact with support personnel from main campus in Syracuse during a crisis. The University will work diligently to promote your safety and to afford the opportunity to continue your academic work.
- Los Angeles does have the occasional earthquake that can be unsettling but does negligible damage. However, if there is a serious earthquake take steps to evaluate your immediate safety and act accordingly. If the building you are occupying has suffered extensive damage then vacate right away to an open space away from any buildings.
- If you are away from your residence you should consider sheltering in place until the scope of the damage is known and you can determine whether it is safe to return home.
- In the event of a major earthquake, students will be asked to promptly read any messages and reply to check-in requests received.
- Please refer to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for procedures before and after an earthquake.
- Emergency supply kits will be supplied to students.
- The University will support the immediate needs of anyone who needs to evacuate due to earthquake damage. Once your immediate safety is addressed, please contact Newhouse LA staff (if you have not already “checked in”) and we will assist as conditions allow.
VPA LA is currently using Whats App to send notifications during emergency events. Students may receive notifications via text, email and/or push notification.
All students participating in the VPA LA program are expected to:
- Promptly read any messages received via What's App or text message.
- Promptly respond to “check in” notices
- Maintain a working smartphone throughout the program and keep the device charged and accessible throughout the program.
- Notify the program director in the event their mobile device becomes permanently inaccessible (i.e. lost or stolen)
- Notify the program director in the event that their mobile phone number changes.
- Act in the best interest of their safety upon receiving notice of a critical event in their area.
EFFECTIVE October 2022