When signing into Whitman Remote Desktop/RDS.syr.edu, after you enter your firstname.lastname@example.org email address as your username, ensure you select 'Work or School account' - otherwise you will not be able to utilize Whitman Remote Desktop.
What is Whitman Remote Desktop?
Whitman Remote Desktop is a remote desktop session available to Whitman faculty, staff and students by logging into https://rds.syr.edu (Starting Aug 21, 2020). It provides a Computer Lab experience accessible over the internet and from any internet-connected device. Whitman Remote Desktop is the best way for students to use course-required software.
Why do we have it?
We have Whitman Remote Desktop for three reasons:
- There are some software programs which, due to licensing terms and restrictions, cannot be installed on personal computers.
- It provides access to Windows only programs for people who use Apple computers.
- It guarantees an up to date and consistent experience when using Whitman software.
Who has access to Whitman Remote Desktop?
- Whitman Active Faculty
- Whitman Active Staff
- Students enrolled in Whitman courses
What should you know about Whitman Remote Desktop?
- Your G: and H: Drives are on Whitman Remote Desktop.
- All the software available in our labs is also available on Whitman Remote Desktop; it will look just like the labs.
What software is available on Whitman Remote Desktop?
Whitman Remote Desktop/Student Use is the best way for students to use course-required software.
How do you use Whitman Remote Desktop?
The Ideal Experience
The ideal experience using Whitman Remote Desktop is to open your favorite web browser and go to https://rds.syr.edu.
At this webpage, you will be asked to log in using your SU NetID and Password.
Once you've logged in, you will see an icon called Whitman Remote Desktop (you will also see SULabs, and any other custom session you have access to).
Click the Whitman Remote Desktop icon, check the box that says "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer", and click "Allow". You will be connected to the Remote Desktop within your web browser which will give you access to your desktop, H: + G: network drives, and applications available on any Whitman lab computer.
RDS - Web User Interface Issues
Going into Full Screen mode (using the double-ended arrow next to the gear) can cause the connection to go black. This issue currently is known to affect all browsers.
- Resolution: Reload the browser page, you will be brought back into your active session after you log back in.
- Workaround: set rds.syr.edu to download the RDP file rather than using the in-browser experience - click the gear, then the radio button for "Download the RDP File"
- Keyboard and Mouse input issues. This is a local hardware compatibility issue --with varied models of laptops\desktops\keyboards\mice.
- Resolution: Utilize an alternative connection method to RDS (RDP File).