What is Whitman Remote Desktop?
Whitman Remote Desktop is a remote desktop solution available to Whitman faculty, staff and students. It provides a Computer Lab experience accessible over the internet and from any device.
Why do we have it?
We have Whitman Remote Desktop for three reasons:
- There are some software programs which, due to licensing terms and restrictions, cannot be installed on personal computers.
- It provides access to Windows only programs for people who use Apple computers.
- It guarantees an up to date and consistent experience when using Whitman software.
Who can use it?
- Whitman students, faculty, and staff.
- Non-Whitman class enrollees (Students not matriculated into a degree program, just taking a Whitman Class)
Who has access to what?
- Whitman Faculty and Staff: Access to the Excel Cert and Fac/Staff Use session collection.
- Whitman Students and Non-Whitman class enrollees: Access to the Excel Cert and Student Use session collection.
What should you know about Whitman Remote Desktop?
- If you are using a lab computer, there is no need to connect to Whitman Remote Desktop as they are one and the same.
- Your G: and H: Drives are on Whitman Remote Desktop.
- All the software available in our labs is also available on Whitman Remote Desktop; it will look just like the labs.
- There are two desktop connections you will see when you go to connect: Excel Cert and Student Use.
- The Excel Cert Prep connection is designed specifically for Whitman folks who want to prepare for the Microsoft Office Specialist Excel Certification Exam.
- You will have access to MySlice Administrative applications
What software is available on Whitman Remote Desktop?
Whitman Remote Desktop/Student Use is the best way your students can use required class software. If you need computers in your classroom, and there are no laptop carts available, students can use their personal computers to connect to Whitman Remote Desktop and follow along with the class.
If you're utilizing software in the classroom which is in our labs, include a mention of Whitman Remote Desktop in your syllabi, and a link to this page. Remind students to bring their laptops with them so that they can follow along in class.
If you're working from home and are using a personal (not campus-managed) computer, you can do it this way.
If you're working from home and are using a personal (not campus-managed) computer, you can do it this way. You should be able to access whatever you need from G/H Drives as well as MySlice (MyReports, ePro, etc).
Whitman Remote Desktop is a great way for you to be able to participate in course work, complete homework from the comfort of your dorm room or apartment, or anywhere else if you can't get to a lab. This is especially useful when lab space and laptop checkouts are limited during times of heavy usage.
How do you use Whitman Remote Desktop?
The Ideal Experience
The ideal experience using Whitman Remote Desktop is to open your favorite web browser and go to https://remote.whitman.syr.edu.
At this webpage, you will be asked to log in using your SU NetID and Password.
Once you've logged in, you will see an icon called "Excel Cert", "Fac/Staff Use" and Student Use.
Click the desired icon, check the box that says "Don't ask me again for connections to this computer", and click "Allow". You will be connected to the Remote Desktop within your web browser which will give you access to your desktop, H: + G: network drives, and applications available on any Whitman lab computer.