When signing into Whitman Remote Desktop/RDS.syr.edu, after you enter your firstname.lastname@example.org email address as your username, ensure you select 'Work or School account' - otherwise you will not be able to utilize Whitman Remote Desktop.
What is Remote Desktop?
Remote Desktop is a remote desktop session available to Whitman faculty, staff, and students by logging into https://rds.syr.edu. It provides a Computer Lab experience accessible over the internet and from any internet-connected device. Whitman Remote Desktop is the best way for students to use course-required software.
How to access Remote Desktop?
How to access Virtual Machines from Remote Desktop Services? (Double Hop)
Why do we have it?
We have Remote Desktop for three reasons:
- There are some software programs which due to licensing terms and restrictions, cannot be installed on personal computers.
- It provides access to Windows-only programs for people who use Apple computers.
- It guarantees an up-to-date and consistent experience when using Whitman software.
Who has access to Remote Desktop?
- Whitman Active Faculty
- Whitman Active Staff
- Students enrolled in Whitman courses
What should you know about Remote Desktop?
- Your G: Network Drive and OneDrive are automatically mapped for you.
- All the software available in our labs is also available on Whitman Remote Desktop; it will look just like the labs