Zoom offers integrated live transcription. The following steps assist in enabling this option within your Syracuse University Zoom account. Please refer to
Before you Enable Live Transcripts
Before you enable live transcripts for your meeting participants, please note the following:
- If you have enabled the CC feature during your Zoom session/class, users must choose Save Transcript in the sidebar before the meeting ends if they want a copy.
- Speaker identification is included only in the real-time full transcript sidebar view and is not included in the downloaded transcript file.
If you are a previous Otter.ai user, stop Otter live stream (must be stopped for integrated Live Transcript to be available).
Enabling Live Transcripts in Your Personal Profile Settings
Log in to Zoom
- Go to Settings
- Choose ‘In Meeting (Advanced)’
- Enable Closed Captioning
- Check the box next to ‘Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting.’
- Under Save Captions enable ‘Allow participants to save fully closed captions or transcripts (if desired, this is not required).
Enabling Live Transcripts in Your Meeting
For each meeting that you would like live transcription made available:
- Start the meeting
- Click CC/Live Transcript button that appears on the Zoom toolbar
- Click Enable Auto-Transcription
This should allow your participants to see a CC/Live Transcript button on their Zoom toolbar. Users will have the following options:
- Show/Hide subtitle
- View/close full transcript in the sidebar
- Change subtitle settings: font size
Keep in mind, automated/machine-generated captioning DOES NOT replace CART as a disability-related accommodation. Continue to work with the Center for Disability Resources as needed.
Live Transcripts feature is not available in Zoom breakout rooms.