OpenVPN Connect is an add-on program to allow VPN support on University owned managed (Jamf managed ) macOS machinescomputers.
The article below outlines installation and set up instructions. If you do not have a Syracuse University managed macOS machine, please see our Remote Access page for alternative secure connection methods.
|The information on this page is targeted to only those who are on managed machines and is informational for those who have been directed to this page.|
If you do not have a computer managed by Syracuse University or you have not explicitly been directed to follow the instructions on this page, please use the Remote Access Answers page to learn more about that is not University owned and managed (Jamf), please see our Remote Access page for alternative secure connection methods.
Install OpenVPN Connect:
- Launch Self Service and log in as needed
Under the section "SU Management" find "Mac Device Tunnel" and choose to install
- When the installer has finished, an OpenVPN icon will be added to your menu bar (located at the top of the screen):
- Click on the OpenVPN icon and choose "Connect":
- The icon changes appearance when it is connected:
- Manually connecting to VPN should only be required after installation the first time.
- VPN should reconnect after a restart or log out and log in.
- Connectivity should be similar to your on campus connectivity, whereas, you should be able to connect to on campus services without interruption.
- As always, your internet speed at your current location will depend on the quality of the connection.
OpenVPN will not connect while on you are connected to a campus network. (e.g. AirOrangeX, SUAD, EduRoam)