- Provide only as much detail as necessary. Ideally automatic replies should be simple and to the point. Avoid adding any unnecessary information to your message.
- Don't assume others aren't responding to inquiries during University down time (summer and winter). Staff work throughout the year, and away messages must therefore provide alternative means of contact.
- If in doubt about whom that contact should be, please reach out to the Executive Assistant to the Dean.
- Seek a colleague's permission when providing alternative contacts. Don't commit a colleague's assistance without this permission.
- Don't promise you will respond as soon as you return. It can take time to catch up on emails, so try not to set the expectation that you can respond immediately upon returning to your desk (see examples below).