Who should upgrade?
As of Fall 2017, we are began using a new method for users to sign into their TurningPoint Software and the TurningTechnologies Website. Rather than have a separate password, Syracuse users can use their regular campus NetID and Password to access TurningTechnology products using a method called Single Sign-On (SSO). This sign-on method is more convenient and helps keep your accounts safe.
The new sign-on method is not supported by all version of the TurningPoint software. It requires users to upgrade to version 7.5 or higher to download rosters from Blackboard.Instructors my continue to use an upgraded version of TurningPoint Cloud (While version of "Turning Point Cloud" with version 7.5 or higher) or install TurningPoint 8. The method for each of these is slightly different—each is outlined below.There are benefits to upgrading to TurningPoint 8. , may work, we recommend updating the more recent version, Turning Point 8.5. In testing, ITS and Online Learning Services have found it the more recent versions to be faster, more stable, and to include significant improvements in the ways sessions and rosters are updated.
On both TurningPoint Cloud and TurningPoint Turning Point 8, the version number of the software is located in the lower right corner of the launch screen.
Updating to the latest version
If you've already on version 8 or higher, these instructions will help you get the most current available version. If you're still using Turning Point Cloud, alternate instructions are below.
Users are able to install Turning Point 8+ software updates as they are released. These updates include both enhancements and fixes that can improve your experience with TurningPoint.
The following update process is the same for Mac and PC users on Turning Point 8.
- Browse to your current version of the TurningPoint software, launch it and sign-on.
- Double-click the TurningPoint logo in center at the bottom of the application.
- A new window will open. Click Check for Updates.
- You will be informed if an update is available. If a new version of TurningPoint is available, click on Install Update.
- The update will download. When it is ready to install, click Install and Relaunch.
Upgrading from Turning Point Cloud to Turning Point 8 on your USB Drive (Windows)
Use these instructions if you're ready to try TurningPoint to update Turning Point Cloud to Turning Point 8 by installing it on your TurningPoint USB drive/receiver.
You can keep or delete your current TurningPoint Cloud Installation. If you'd like to delete it, simply browse to the USB drive delete the folder containing it. Alternatively, you can keep the folder as it is or rename it to something like TurningPoint-OLD if you'd like to keep it.
To install the new version:
- Open a web browser and go to https://instructor.turningtechnologies.com/#/downloads. It may require you to sign-on if you have not already.
- Locate TurningPoint 8 — PC No Install and click the link to download
- Find the file that you downloaded to your computer which is titled TurningPoint.exe — it should have a blue hexagon logo.
- Double-click the application you downloaded. This will launch a dialog that asks you where you'd like to place the application. Click the icon to the right of the address and browse to the top of the drive (not a folder inside it). Then click "Unzip."
- When the installer is complete, browse to the USB drive and go into the "Turning Point App" folder. Double-click the item called "TurningPoint" with a blue hexagon logo next to it to launch TurningPoint 8.
- When signing in for the first time you may receive a license error, which you can ignore.
Upgrading from Turning Point Cloud to TurningPoint 8 on your USB Drive (MacOS)
There is a bug in the current version of the MacOS application available for download that prevents it from launching correctly on the USB Drive. If you need an updated version of the application for MacOS, please visit the ITS Help Center in the Center for Science and Technology to swap your old drive for one with updated software.
Updating your current version
The most recent version of both TurningPoint Cloud and TurningPoint 8 are compatible with our Fall 2017 Blackboard configuration.
This is the preferred method for updating TurningPoint Cloud to a version that will work with the system as of Fall 2017.
This method can update TurningPoint Cloud to the most current version, but will not upgrade it to TurningPoint 8. For that, follow the instructions above.
Users are able to install TurningPoint software updates as they are released. These updates include both enhancements and fixes that can improve your experience with TurningPoint.
The following update process is the same for Mac and PC users on both TurningPoint Cloud and TurningPoint 8.
any Turning Point Cloud drives for one containing Turning Point 8.