Using the Syracuse University Remote Access (SURA) utility
SURA Remote Access Tool
- What is SURA?
SURA is a tool that automatically configures a Windows personal computer to securely connect to University resources via VPN. SURA can be used instead of the older Windows VPN configuration tool. Using SURA will allow you to:
- Access University network drives (H and G drives)*
- Easily establish a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection from nearly anywhere to Syracuse University's computing network
- Find and connect to network printers *
- Access your e-mail through a Web-based interface
- Connect to your dedicated office PC through a Remote Desktop connection (staff/faculty) *
* Your access to certain SURA functions may vary based on to your role at Syracuse University and your individual access privileges granted to you by your home department.
- Who can use it?
Anyone with an active Syracuse University NetID account and a Windows 7, Windows XP or Vista computer may use SURA. Please note that Microsoft's .NET 2.0 framework must be present on your remote Windows XP computer for SURA operate correctly.
- Where can I get it?
The SURA utility can be downloaded from the ITS Downloads Web page.
- Why should I use it?
It gives students, faculty, and staff secure access to the data they need when and where they need it.
All users looking for remote access, including former users of the SURA remote access tool, should review the Remote Access home page for available services.