This page provides consolidated information and advice for School of Architecture Faculty and Teaching Assistants on the tools and techniques available to deliver teaching and learning in the event that:
- Faculty or TAs have self-isolated and need to deliver teaching remotely or
Students have self-isolated and need to be taught remotely.
Table of Contents
Faculty and TAs can continue to teach and support students online with different methods, including through synchronous live sessions, through providing materials and activities that students can interact with asynchronously; or a blend of both. This page aims to help you decide the delivery method that can best benefit the learning experience of your students.
Teaching and Technology Tuesdays - Syracuse University
Online Success Toolkit - Syracuse University
Rapid Online Course Development Guide - Syracuse University
Going Online in a Hurry: What to Do and Where to Start - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Blackboard Learn is the recommended learning management system by Syracuse University. Please let your students know which platform you are using for your class.
Note: Please review the guides below for common Blackboard tasks.
Zoom & Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Zoom and Blackboard Collaborate Ultra are the two popular web conference tools used by many at Syracuse University, and both are integrated into Blackboard. Please let your students know which platform you are using for your class.
Note: Please review the guides below before creating and running your first Collaborate Ultra (video conference) session.
Syracuse University has implemented Kaltura for Education, a leading video platform powering any video experience for any organization.
What can Kaltura do?
The initial deployment of Kaltura at Syracuse University includes:
• Personal video capture tools to create video content
• Tools to upload, configure and share video content created with other tools
• Integration between Kaltura and the Blackboard system
• The Kaltura MediaSpace video portal
In the coming months, users also will be able to migrate existing videos from Ensemble to Kaltura and take advantage of Kaltura Lecture Capture.
Is training available?
Yes! You can register for online training sessions.
Conceptboard is an intuitive digital whiteboard platform that allows students and faculty to engage and participate online in the architecture learning experience. This shared digital workspace allows communication and co-creation to continue seamlessly, regardless of location and features over 100 templates (Whiteboarding, Brain Storming, Design Collaboration, Workshop, etc.). Users can also easily share boards with external guests and critics during reviews and studios. For best results, use Conceptboard in conjunction with a meeting tool like Zoom or Teams, and get people to login to both so that you can see their faces and their contributions both at the same time.
Note: The table below provides suggestions and alternatives (with how-tos) for different teaching activities. The Additional Support Pages section can help you find answers to other questions you may have.
Suggested alternatives and links to guidance (Synchronous/Asynchronous/Blended)
|Seminar and tutorial|
|Collaboration and group discussion|
|Share content and files|
|Reviews and Studio|
Disclaimer: We cannot stop you from using other tools that are not supported by SU. Please use such tools at your own risk. SU's accessibility requirements still apply.
|Zoom||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu )||YES||How-to|
|Blackboard Collaborate||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Web App|
|Microsoft Teams||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Web conferencing, screen sharing||Web App|
|Adobe Acrobat Pro DC||View, edit, annotate PDFs||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Conceptboard||Visual Collaboration||Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Google Suite||Online Productivity||Web App||Campus (NetID@g.syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Google Drive||File-sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@g.syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|One Drive||File-sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Kaltura||Video Platform||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|PlayPosit||Video Interaction||Web App||Campus (NetID@ syr.edu )||YES||How-to|
|Premier Rush||Video Editing||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||NO||How-to|
|OBS Studio||Video Streaming||Desktop App||NO||How-to|
|Modelo||3D Model Collaboration||Web App||NO||How-to|
Online delivery and learning are dependent on individual computer set up, speed of one’s internet connection and location. Wherever possible, faculty and students are advised to use a wired, stable, high-speed internet connection.
Note: Please contact email@example.com before you plan to teach remotely; it's important to make sure all of your technology are functioning correctly and up to date.
- Questions regarding computing support or recommendations: email Architecture IT support at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blackboard specific questions: email Central Blackboard support at email@example.com
- IPEVO digital document camera (can also be used as webcam; streaming capable)
- Logitech headset mic
- MXL tabletop conference mic
- Ethernet (network) adapter/cable
- Wacom drawing tablet (limited supply)
- Web conference kit (for use in Slocum) - includes webcam, headset mic, conference mic, ethernet adapter, ethernet cable
System Live Status
- SU System
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra - AWS (US)
- Blackboard Learn - Managed Hosting (US)
- Conceptboard and also here
- Turnitin System
- Go here to check if a site is down
- Go here to check if a site is blocked in China
Additional Support Pages
- Grading FAQ for faculty
- Final Grading for Faculty
- Blackboard Grade Center
- Weighting Grades in Blackboard
- Academic Continuity Resources
- Slocum Hall - Registrar Classroom Guide
- School of Architecture - Distance Learning Resources (for your students)
- Remote Access using the ARCH virtual cluster (faculty only)
- Kaltura in Blackboard
- Disability Services