This page provides consolidated information and advice for School of Architecture students on the tools and methods available to continue their learning remotely during the pandemic.
Table of Contents
Blackboard Learn is the recommended learning management system by Syracuse University. Almost all courses use Blackboard.
Note: Please review the guide below.
Zoom & Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
Zoom and Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (integrated with Blackboard) are the two popular web conference tools used by many at Syracuse University. Please ask your professor which platform they are using for your class.
Note: Please review the guides below.
Conceptboard is a virtual whiteboard tookit. It is the recommended online visual collaboration platform by the School of Architecture. Conceptboard allows students and faculty to mark up files, participate in online pin-ups and reviews, and collaborate on design. It can be used for project brain storming and for conducting design workshops. The platform's collaboration features include live pointers, a moderator mode, and allow users to easily share boards with external guests and critics. This platform also features over 100 templates to kickstart the collaborative process.
Architecture Software Access
To help with continuing your course work and projects, many Architecture software programs in the labs are available for installation on your own computer as needed. Please review the list below on how to access particular software. Software requirements by year are available on the School website.
Please see the hardware page for detailed computer recommendations.
To use V-Ray with Rhino on your computer, make sure you first have the VPN running (Windows or Mac), as V-Ray can’t reach the campus license server without the VPN.
The RemoteLab service offers Architecture students access to lab computers in Slocum from any location on or off campus via an Internet connection. Remoting into the lab computer is like sitting in front of it even though you are at a different location. You will have access to all the Architecture lab software.
|Zoom||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu )||YES||How-to|
|Collaborate Ultra||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu )||YES||How-to|
|Microsoft Teams||Web conferencing, screen sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Adobe Acrobat Pro DC||View, edit, annotate PDFs||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Conceptboard||Visual Collaboration||Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Google Suite||Online Productivity||Web App||Campus (NetID@g.syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Google Drive||File-sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@g.syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|One Drive||File-sharing||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Kaltura||Video Platform||Desktop/Web App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||YES||How-to|
|Premier Rush||Video Editing||Desktop App||Campus (NetID@syr.edu)||NO||How-to|
|OBS Studio||Video Streaming||Desktop App||NO||How-to|
|Modelo||3D Model Collaboration||Web App||NO||How-to|
For everyone's safety, we will providing IT support as follows:
- Submit all requests/emergencies via email to Architecture IT support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will coordinate with you to provide remote support or make equipment drop-off arrangements.
- If your issue is urgent, please check your email frequently for our reply.
- We are not providing walk up service or answering office door knocks during this time.
Online learning is dependent on individual computer set up, speed of one’s internet connection and location. Wherever possible, students are advised to use a stable, high-speed internet connection.
Need help purchasing a new laptop?
- Students on financial aid who need to purchase computers for remote access because they do not have one may submit a Financial Aid Appeal to cover this cost.
- Contact KC Woods, associate director of financial aid, at email@example.com or (315) 443-1513 if you have questions.
- Additional funds for Spring 2021 may be available by filling out a Syracuse Responds Application and CRRSAA Emergency Grant Application.
System Live Status
- SU System
- Blackboard Learn - Managed Hosting (US)
- Turnitin System
- Conceptboard and also here
- Go here to check if a site is down
- Go here to check if a site is blocked in China