Overview of Classroom Setup
- At the front of the room, you will see the two HDTVs and the Teaching Workstation.
- At the back of the room, you will see Camera 2. This Camera allows for supervision of the computer lab screens.
- The teaching workstation consists of multiple parts which allow you to control the classroom. The teaching workstation sits on wheels allowing it to be mobile.
In the picture above, you will see the following:
- Extron Control Panel: Allows you to control the monitors, inputs, lights, and cameras
- External Inputs: Allows you to connect a laptop or other device using VGA, HDMI, or Ethernet
- Wireless Mouse: Allows you to control presentations wirelessly
- Wacom Touch Screen: Contains a stylus that allows you to easily annotate presentations and other materials
Extron System Settings
Note: When "System Off" is selected the classroom takes approximately two minutes to shut down everything and then reboot for operation.
Main Display Controls
- Power - Main power controls for the TV displays at the front of the room.
- Main Display Settings - The options here are PC Monitor 1, PC Monitor 2(or extended display), and HDMI. Touch any of these while highlighting your desired display above (Left/Right) to change.
- To ALL - By touching this option, the display/volume settings currently selected will be pushed TO ALL other display settings on this Extron system.
If video is not outputting and you have consulted the above options, make sure video mute is NOT highlighted.
- Main Volume Settings - Up and Down arrows will raise volume for the speakers throughout the classroom.
If audio is not outputting, make sure mute is NOT highlighted.
Teaching Station Controls
- System Utilities - Select this option to open up the following display.
- Left/Right Teaching Station Monitor - Similar to the above display options, these will change the output of the monitors on the teaching station relative to the highlighted option.
COVID-19 Classroom Accommodations
Each classroom in Hinds Hall is now equipped with additional technology for professor & students. The technology; which includes Cameras for video recording, Headset Docks to support faculty deployed headsets, etc. servers to facilitate proper practices in the classroom while adhering to COVID-19 guidelines.
The following documentation will highlight features and controls for the new tech, as well as explaining its functionality from room to room in Hinds Hall.
On the teaching station, you will find a headset dock ready for pairing with your personal wireless headset for virtual classroom uses. In the picture below, you will see an example of a headset dock and a headset located at the front of the room.
Connecting your Headset to the Dock/Classroom
To ensure that your headset successfully pairs with the headset dock, connect the headset to the dock, as seen in the image below, and wait until you hear a beep come from the headset dock and then confirm the headset icon located on the side of the dock is solid white (see image below and no. 5 located in Headset Components).
In the image below, you will see the following headset components:
- 1 - Volume up
- 2 - Volume down
- 3 - Call answer/end button
- LED lit when on a call
- 4 - Battery icon
- Solid white: full charge
- Blinking white: charging
- Solid red: very low
- 5 - Headset icon
- Blinking white: headset pairing to base
- Solid white: headset paired to base
- Solid red: headset not paired to base
- 6 - USB connection for PC
- 7 - Wide Band/Narrow Band switch
- Default Wide Band
- 8 - Power Connection for wall power
- 9 - Mute button
- 10 - Mute LED
- Lit when microphone is muted
Cameras + Displays
Each classroom is equipped with 2 cameras for recording/streaming your class online. The instructor has the option of either Front or Rear camera to record from.
At the front of the room, you will see the two HDTVs, Camera (Front), and the Teaching Workstation.
At the back of the room, you will see Camera (Rear).
Extron - Camera Controls
- Front Camera and Rear Camera - Select one of the two (Front or Rear) to activate the camera controls below. Whichever camera is selected will be the one that is powered on and used by desktop computer.
- Zoom In/Zoom Out - Change the zoom of the camera that is selected.
- Up, Down, Left, Right - Change the direction of the camera that is selected. (Recommended to have computer open to Camera so you can see the changes to camera position as you adjust it)
- Preset 1,2,3 - 3 previously configured Presets for Camera positioning and zoom. By touching the camera will automatically adjust its settings. You are free to control the camera after applying a preset.
For troubleshooting the Camera and/or Microphone in common recording applications such as Microsoft Teams, Blackboard Collaborate, Zoom AND Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge)