The College of Visual & Performing Arts website vpa.syr.edu is built using content blocks. These are reusable blocks of content that can easily be populated to any page for a custom layout. While there are limitations as to what can be done, the flexibility of the website allows for many options.
Types of Websites
What is an external website?
- For marketing & advertising purposes
- i.e. recruiting new students
What does NOT go on an external website?
- Content meant for internal audiences (faculty, staff, current students)
- i.e. policies, documentations, recommendations, etc.
- vpa.syr.edu is an external website
What is an internal website?
- A website meant to communicate internal information
- i.e. staff, faculty, current students
- Answers.syr.edu is an internal website
A microsite is a mini-website for external-facing audiences. Syracuse University's digital governance decides whether a microsite is available per request.
There are several page templates available to construct a webpage or build a microsite.
The standard academic page is the primary template used across the vpa.sry.edu website. Like the other templates, the standard academic page template is flexible and can be used to achieve a number of goals and layouts.
The key identifying features of the standard page include:
- Includes College's primary navigation
- and breadcrumbs
- SU & VPA branding
- Full-width option
- option to enable a right-hand sidebar
|Standard Page Full-Width Page Example||Standard Page Right Side-bar Page Example|
This is similar to the standard page but streamlined.
The main differences of this layout are:
- College primary navigation is hidden
- Breadcrumbs are hidden
- Minimal college/university branding
- Can hide footer
|Exhibition Page with Footer||Exhibition Page no Footer|