Owners of Ensemble media must choose one of the following options to retain access to existing Ensemble media.
- Manually upload original media files to Kaltura (Preferred)
- Manually download Ensemble media and upload to Kaltura (Instructions below)
Please note Kaltura is designed for streaming video that is actively in use; users that wish to retain video for archival purposes should contact their academic or administrative support personnel about arranging long-term storage.
Bulk Migration Has Concluded
Information Technology Services (ITS) has concluded a bulk-transfer of media from Ensemble to Kaltura as part of decommissioning the Ensemble Video Service. Users who did not complete the bulk-transfer steps prior to close of business on January 25th, 2021 did not have their media transferred and should follow the available transfer steps below.
Inaction Will Result in Loss of Media
Ensemble media that has not been flagged for automated transfer or manually migrated to Kaltura will not be accessible once Ensemble has been decommissioned.
Post-Transfer Checks for Bulk-Transfer Users
The bulk transfer process through a partnership with Kaltura has concluded. Where possible, users should upload their original recordings directly into Kaltura rather than download from Ensemble and upload to Kaltura. By design, Ensemble ingests the original file and then creates new versions compatible with web streaming before discarding the source file. If you still have a copy of your original video, it will be higher quality and is likely a better source for Kaltura to create its versions for streaming.
Update locations where your Ensemble video is deployed (Blackboard, Answers pages, websites, etc.)
There is no automated method to update locations where your Ensemble video was previously deployed. Whether you've embedded your media in Blackboard or another website, used an Ensemble video in a PlayPosit bulb, posted links to videos in web pages, or emailed video links to colleagues, you'll need to re-distribute information and update locations to points to the new location of the video in Kaltura.
Update Thumbnails in Kaltura
Thumbnails were note moved from Ensemble content. Kaltura will automatically generate a new thumbnail that can be managed by the media owner. You can quickly and easily update them by navigating to the 'Thumbnail' tab of Kaltura's edit area and choosing a new still from the video or uploading your own image. Detailed instructions are available on Kaltura's support site.
Manually Download Ensemble Media
As stated, users should upload their original recordings directly into Kaltura rather than download from Ensemble and upload to Kaltura where possible. By design, Ensemble ingests the original file and then creates new versions compatible with web streaming before discarding the source file. If you still have a copy of your original video, it will be higher quality and is likely a better source for Kaltura to create its versions for streaming.
Bulk Download Not Available
Please note that the download must be done on a per-item basis as users cannot bulk-download videos from Ensemble.
Log in to Ensemble and visit the library containing the file you need to transfer, selecting the download option under the desired video.
- Using the List View, the "Download" button is underneath the image thumbnail.
- Using the Grid View, the download button is accessed by clicking the "Options" menu underneath the image thumbnail of the desired video.
Uploading Media to Kaltura
It is possible to add video to your Kaltura library from a number of locations:
- From the Blackboard homepage by clicking "Kaltura My Media".
- From the course location in Blackboard where you want to post the video.
- From the Kaltura MediaSpace at http://videos.syr.edu.
There are a number of ways to create or upload videos to your Kaltura media library. They are all available from the Add button wherever you access Kaltura.
Bulk Upload Not Available
Please note that uploads must be done on a per-item basis as users cannot bulk-upload media to Kaltura.
- Media Upload is for videos you've created with another application that you are ready to put it into Kaltura to stream via the web.
- Kaltura Capture will launch the Kaltura Desktop Recorder, an application that can be installed on your machine to make recordings of your desktop screens or applications and cameras attached to your computer. The recording is created on our computer's hard drive and can be uploaded from the application directly to your Kaltura media library.
- Express Capture allows you to use microphones and cameras connected to your device to record into the web browser and upload it directly to your Kaltura media library.
- YouTube creates a media item in your library based on a video hosted on YouTube. This feature allows you to sort and organize course media in a single location, post to your course with the Kaltura tools, and have YouTube videos play via the Kaltura Player which can remove some ads and provide Kaltura analytics for the item. Please note that the original video source video remains on YouTube and plays through Kaltura. If it is removed from YouTube by the owner, the Kaltura item will no longer work.
- Kaltura Quiz links to a page where you can either select an existing video in your library or upload a new video to use as the basis for quiz built on top of the video. SU users interested in this feature are encouraged to consider PlayPosit which allows you to create interactive videos from the items in your Kaltura media library.
Posting Kaltura Media to Blackboard
Online Teaching Support