Official email accounts for students are established in a system called SUMail. SUMail is managed by the university and utilizes Microsoft's Office 365 email service. The SU email policy requires that all official university e-mail communications be sent to your @syr.edu email address.
SUmail uses the same password for that you set up for your netid. If you haven't already activated your netid and set up a password for it, visit http://netid.syr.edu to activate your netid.
Note : SUMail utilizes Office 365 email services. When asked for your "Organizational account" or user name, use your official SU email address (NetID@syr.edu)
Many people manage their SUMail incoming and outgoing e-mail directly through the SUMail Web interface (sumail.syr.edu ). If you are using another program to get your email, and are considering redirecting your SUMail account to that other program, we encourage you to use SUMail for a while and get familiar with its features before you decide to redirect your e-mail. If you choose to re-direct your @syr.edu e-mail to another account, such as @gmail.com, or @yahoo.com, you do so at your own risk.
SUmail is managed by the University and utilizes Microsoft's cloud services. This partnership provides students several powerful and convenient features, including:
- 50 GB inbox and 25 MB attachments
- Optimized Outlook experience including customizable user interface.
- Shared calendar and contacts.
- Folders to organize email
- Forwarding, IMAP, and Outlook connector for mobile phone and personal computer access
- Spam and virus protection
- Your SU email address and the services offered through SUmail will continue to be available indefinitely after graduation. If there is any change to this service, we will notify participants in SUmail.
Configuring SUmail on Smartphones and Email Clients
- Accessing SUmail on a Chromebook
- Configuring Apple Devices and Macs for SUmail
- Configuring SUmail on Smartphones
- Remove SUmail on Windows8 OS
- Microsoft Account and the Office Web Apps
- SUmail Error Messages and Troubleshooting
- SUmail - redirecting your email to a third party system
- SUmail Tips
- Using SUmail with Other Email (IMAP) Clients
- Alumnus who no longer wants SUmail account
- Alumni Who Want to Get a SUmail Account
- Configure SUmail on Windows 8 OS
- Configure SUMail on Windows 10 OS
- Securing SUMail Account After Security Lock
Changing the Password for your SUmail Account
SUmail errors and troubleshooting
Redirecting Email to Another Account
Web Browsers Supported
Window 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Internet Explorer 10 and later.
Macintosh OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.11 (Sierra):