Configure Apple Mail
- Start Apple Mail.
- If you have no accounts set up with Apple Mail, skip to step 5.
- Go to Apple Mail's Preferences. Click the Accounts tab at the top.
- To add a new account click the small + button under Accounts.
- A new dialog will come up. In the Full Name box, type your full name as you want it to appear in messages you send out. You can use both upper and lowercase letters here.
- In the E-mail Address box, type your NetID plus @syr.edu (for example, email@example.com). This is your e-mail address.
- In the Password box, type your NetID password. Click Continue. (If you are using version 4.4, it will try to automatically configure the account, and then fail. This is normal behavior. Click the Continue button.)
- Set the Account Type to "Exchange 2007."
- In the Description box, enter a name for this account (for example, SUmail).
- In the Incoming Mail Server box, enter m.outlook.com if your SUMail account has not yet been upgraded to the latest Office 365 interface. If your SUmail account has been upgraded, use outlook.office365.com for the incoming mail server. See SUmail Upgrade for information on how to determine if your SUmail account has been upgraded. (NOTE: if your SUmail account has not yet been upgraded, and using m.outlook.com generates an error, use the "Server Name" value from the "IMAP Setting" section which you can obtain using the instructions in "Get Information using the Web Interface to configure Apple Mail" below).
- In the User name box, type your NetID plus @syr.edu (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). This is your e-mail address.
- In the Password box, type your NetID password. Click Continue.
- Apple Mail will then test your Incoming server settings. If the test fails, double check your User Name (Be sure to enter include the @syr.edu after your NetID.) and password. If you get an error that m.outlook.com is not responding, then try the "Server Name" value from the "IMAP Setting" section that you noted during the "First Steps" above).
- If the "Account Summary" screen appears, click Create.
Get information using the Web Interface to configure Apple Mail
- Log into your SUmail account using the web interface at: https://sumail.syr.edu.
- Select "Options" in the top right of the main mail screen and then "See All Options..."
- If you are not already on the "Account" page, select it.
- Select "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..."
A screen like this one will appear –
The values for your account may differ. Make note of the values for SMTP and IMAP values for your specific account.
EXAMPLE of possible settings: