Applications are currently closed and will re-open for the 2024-2025 academic year.
Through the generosity of SU alums Sami ’04 and Justin Grefé ’05 and their establishment of the Justin and Samantha Grefé Energy Policy Internship Support Fund, Maxwell is able to provide several Grefé Fellowships of up to $2,500 to support students working at summer internships related to energy policy. The fellowships can be used to help cover travel and living expenses and are intended to make it easier for students to take energy-related internships away from home.
To be eligible, you should:
- Be a Maxwell major. Your home college doesn’t need to be Arts and Sciences or Maxwell: You’re eligible if you have at least one major in Maxwell (including departmental majors and CCE, ESP, IR, and PST).
- Be a first-year student, a sophomore, or a junior.
- Have, or be planning to find, an internship focused on energy policy or with an energy sector employer. The internship can be paid or for credit.
To apply, you’ll need to submit the following via the link at the top of the page:
- A recent resume
- A transcript, or permission for the application committee to look up your information on Degree Works
- A short statement about your internship, if you have one already, or the kinds of places where you intend apply
- A short statement about why funding would be helpful.
The award process will have two stages:
- An initial selection is fall, which does not require you to have an internship already
- A final selection is spring, which requires that you have an internship lined up
In the first round, the top applicants will be divided into two groups: preliminary winners and alternates. Preliminary winners will have until the end of Spring Break to line up appropriate internships. The second round will occur after Spring Break. Preliminary winners with internships will receive funding, and preliminary winners who don’t have internships will have their funding reassigned to alternates who do.
At the conclusion of the internship:
Selected fellows will be required to document their experience for Justin and Sami Grefé in a letter, report or other agreed upon format. Fellows can also meet with the Grefé’s in person or virtually.