This page is to show you how to configure your syracuse email within the Mail application on Apple Computers.
Apple Mail after Microsoft's MFA (Two-Factor Authentication or 2FA)
As of March 2019, Syracuse University Mail (SUMail) requires Microsoft MFA (also known as two-factor authentication or 2FA). All versions of MacOS before 10.14 Mojave do not support what is referred to as "modern authentication". When trying to access older versions of Mail, you may continually be asked to log in without success. You may see the following screen asking for internal and external URLs as well as a statement that Apple Mail cannot verify the account name or password:
In order to continue to use Apple's Mail app, you will need to update MacOS to the latest version, 10.14 Mojave, which is freely available in the Mac App store. You must also remove and then re-add your SUMail account in order to Apple's Mail app to recognize the MFA/2FA. Follow the instructions listed under the "Related Articles" section for more information.
Additional work arounds include installing Microsoft office using your provided Office365 subscription, and use Outlook. You could also use Outlook's web based email on your preferred browser.
Getting to Mail Setup
Start Apple Mail (is located in the dock by default).
First Account in Mail?
If you do not have an account already in mail you can skip down to Setting up Mail
- Go to Apple Mail's Preferences. Click the Accounts tab at the top.
- To add a new account click the small + button under Accounts.
Setting up Mail
- It will prompt you to choose a mail account to add. Select Exchange and hit continue.
- You should see the following:
Enter your e-mail address and the password corresponding to the syr email address. After that click "Continue".
- In the User Name box, type your NetID plus @syr.edu (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org). This is your e-mail address.
- In the Password box, type your NetID password. (If it is already entered, you do not need to enter it again.)
Set the Server Address to outlook.office365.com
If you have an Exchange account the server should be : exchange.syr.edu.
- Upon entering a correct email address and the correct server, this should be your next screen.
- Choose the things that you would like mail to sync with. Now hit done and wait a bit for the email to be loaded into Apple Mail.