Syracuse University maintains a site license for TextHelp Read&Write for PC and Mac and iReadWrite for iPad.
Read&Write helps all individuals succeed regardless of ability or learning style. Users can access the reading, writing, studying, and research tools they need at school, home, or work. Having text read aloud with dual color highlighting, along with additional support tools, helps every learner gain confidence and work independently at their own pace.
The discrete, customizable toolbar works with commonly-used file types and applications including: Microsoft ® Word, Google Docs™, PDFs, Mozilla Firefox®, Internet Explorer®, Safari, and Chrome™, to make digital content accessible. The software can take scanned electronic documents and camera images into a format that enables interaction with the content.
Read&Write is especially helpful for those challenged with the increased demands of college, including:
- Those with learning disabilities, such as dyslexia
- Student athletes trying to balance the demands of sports with their course work
- First-generation college students
- English as a Second Language learners
- International students
- Adult learners with full-time jobs and families
- And all others who have difficulty reading and writing
The software will soon be installed on the computers in the ITS public computer labs and can now be installed on users’ University- and individually-owned computers.
Contact your local IT support team for assistance installing the software on your University-owned computer.Download link below for installing on your personally-owned computer.
Installing Read & Write
- Go to the Texthelp webpage. (https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/ )
- On the Texthelp homepage locate and select the “Solutions for Education” button/link
- From the For Education page locate and select the “Read more …” button/link
- On the Higher Education page near the bottom in the Available Products section select the Read & Write icon.
- DO NOT select the “Try Now, Buy Now, or Get Quote
- Go to the bottom of the page and select the “Choose Your Platform” button/link
Running Read & Write for the first time
1. Double click the Read & Write icon on your Desktop.
2. Click on the Read & Write tab at the top of your screen.
3. Sign into Read & Write using your preferred provider.
Information and Training
ITS arranged for a live, one-hour webinar that presents a thorough tour of Read&Write and discussion of how the application can help students and other that you support.Kimberly Nix, M.Ed., TextHelp’s Senior Professional Development Manager in North America, discusses the key tools in Read&Write for empowering university students to maximize their time and effort.She focuses on the areas of accessing digital text, working through reading, creating study guides, gathering information for research, organizing and proofing, paper writing, and more. A demonstration of how tools function was interspersed with practical application suggestions to help different kinds of learners with strategies for success.