Read&Write from TextHelp (the makers of EquatIO) helps all individuals succeed regardless of ability or learning style. Users can access the reading, writing, studying, and research tools they need at school, home, or work. Having text read aloud with dual color highlighting, along with additional support tools, helps every learner gain confidence and work independently at their own pace.
Syracuse University maintains a site license for Read&Write for PC and Mac and iReadWrite for iPad, as well as a Chrome browser extension.
The discrete, customizable toolbar works with commonly-used file types and applications including: Microsoft ® Word, Google Docs™, PDFs, Mozilla Firefox®, Internet Explorer®, Safari, and Chrome™, to make digital content accessible. The software can take scanned electronic documents and camera images into a format that enables interaction with the content.
Read&Write is especially helpful for those challenged with the increased demands of college, including:
- Those with learning disabilities, such as dyslexia
- Student athletes trying to balance the demands of sports with their course work
- First-generation college students
- English as a Second Language learners
- International students
- Adult learners with full-time jobs and families
- And all others who have difficulty reading and writing
Installing Read & Write
On the Texthelp homepage locate and select the “Learn More” button/link under Read&Write
Click the Read&Write for Education button
Click Try Read and Write Today
Choose Android, iPad, Windows, Mac OS, Chrome, or Edge
Click Install (Note: if you choose the Chrome option be sure you are logged in to Chrome with your netID@g.syr.edu account, not a personal account and that you have enabled sharing.)
The install package will be downloaded to your device where you can install as you would any other program.
Note: when prompted to log in please choose the 'Sign in with Google' option and use your netID@g.syr.edu email address. This will authenticate you as a Syracuse University user.
Add the PDF Reader for Chrome
If you installed the Chrome extension, consider also downloading the PDF Reader Extension for Chrome which allows you to open and read PDF documents from Google Drive, from the web, or directly from your hard drive. As with the Read & Write Chrome extension, be sure you are logged in to your netID@g.syr.edu account in Chrome when downloading the extension. For instructions on using the PDF Reader with Google Drive please see Read&Write for Google Chrome: PDF Reader in G-Suite (YouTube).
Running Read & Write for the first time (Example from Windows)
1. Double click the Read & Write icon on your Desktop.
2. Click on the Read & Write tab at the top of your screen.
3. Choose Sign in with Google and sign into Read & Write using your netID@g.syr.edu
Once installed, the Read & Write tab will expand to a toolbar when clicked.
Adding Additional Voices
Additional voices can be added to your Windows or Mac installation of Read & Write.
Windows Voices (Note: You must download the zipped file and extract the installer before attempting to run the executable file.)
- Australian Male Lee (.zip)
- Australian Female Karen (.zip)
- Chinese (Mandarin) Female Tian-tian (.zip)
- Dutch Female Claire (.zip)
- French Canadian Female Chantal (.zip)
- French Canadian Male Nicholas (.zip)
- German Female Anna (.zip)
- German Male Yannick (.zip)
- Indian English Female Veena (.zip)
- South African Female Tessa (.zip)
- Spanish Female Monica (.zip)
- UK Female Serena (.zip)
- US Female Allison (.zip)
Mac Voices (Note: All Mac voices are included in this download)
Additional Information and Training
TextHelp has a number of free training resources including tutorials and videos in their Training & Resources Center including: