Table of Contents
Dashboards can display many different types of information, depending on your areas of interest. For example, you could display the list of issues currently assigned to you in one or more projects, view recent activity in selected projects, display a pie chart of open issues broken down by component, list the unassigned issues in a project, etc. You can set up as many dashboard pages as needed.
Dashboards contain one or more boxes of information called Gadgets. You can easily customize your dashboard by choosing a different layout, adding more gadgets, dragging the gadgets into different positions, and changing the look of individual gadgets. For more information on gadgets, see Gadgets in Orange Tracker.
You can also share your dashboards with other people and choose your favorite dashboards . Each dashboard can be configured independently, as per the instructions below.
Select the "Dashboards" link from the top menu in Orange Tracker to see the list of dashboards you can currently view. Select any of the dashboard pages listed to view that dashboard.
Setting Your Home Page to Display Dashboards
You can set the dashboard section to be your home page (the screen you see when you first log into Orange Tracker):
- Log into Orange Tracker
- Select your picture or profile in the upper right-hand corner of the top menu to display the "Profile" menu
- Under the "My JIRA Home" section, select "Dashboard" to make it the default screen when you log into Orange Tracker.
If "dashboard" is set as your home page, then the last dashboard you viewed in that browser will display the next time you log into Orange Tracker.
When you select "Dashboards" from the top menu, you see a list of your favorite dashboards. If you haven't yet set any favorite dashboards, you will see only the default system dashboard listed.
Creating a Dashboard
The "System Dashboard" that you see under "Dashboards" when you first start using JIRA is a "default" dashboard that has been configured by your JIRA administrator. You cannot edit the "System Dashboard"; but you can easily create your own dashboard, which you can then customize as you wish.
If you are currently viewing a dashboard:
- select the 'Tools' menu in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select either 'Create Dashboard' to create a blank dashboard, or 'Copy Dashboard' to create a dashboard that is based on the dashboard you are viewing.
If you are not currently viewing a dashboard:
- Select "Dashboards" from the top menu
- Select "manage dashboards"
- Select "Create new dashboard"
You now see the following screen:
Fill in the following information on this screen:
- Name – give the dashboard an appropriate name. This name will be displayed in the "Dashboards" menu.
- Description - describe what information will be displayed in this dashboard.
- Start From - select blank dashboard.
- Favorite - select the star to make this dashboard one of your favorite dashboards.
- Shares – displays who can see this dashboard. By default, a new dashboard is not shared with anyone else.
- Add Shares - if you want to share your dashboard with other people, you can add shares to the dashboard. DO NOT SHARE THE DASHBOARD WITH EVERYONE - this makes the dashboard available even if you don't log into Orange Tracker (although the issues retrieved will not be viewable unless the person has permissions to view them). If you want to share your dashboard with all Orange Tracker users (which includes students, faculty, staff, alumni, applicants, and non-SU users of Orange Tracker), select "group" and then enter "jira-users." If you want to share your dashboard with a specific role within a Project, select "Project" and then the appropriate role. Note that ":users" role for projects usually contains Jira-Users, which is anyone who can log into Orange Tracker. If you are unsure of who is in a role, contact the department responsible for that project or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can select the "My" link under the "manage dashboards" screen to view dashboards you have created.
Choosing a Dashboard Layout
You can change the look of your dashboard by changing the number of columns on the dashboard and/or the size of the different columns.
- To choose a different layout for your dashboard page (e.g. three columns instead of two) :
- At the top right of the Dashboard, click the Edit Layout link. A selection of layouts will be displayed:
- Click your preferred layout.
For information on adding gadgets to dashboards, see Gadgets in Orange Tracker. Gadgets are arranged in the columns of a dashboard. You can drag a gadget to move it to another column or to move it up or down in the same column.
To move a gadget:
- Hover your cursor over the colored title bar at the top of the gadget until the cursor turns into an icon with four arrows. You will see a group of three icons appear in the upper right-hand corner of the menu bar as well.
- Click and hold, then drag the gadget to the position where you would like it to reside.
Other Dashboard Operations
You can copy, edit, delete, and share dashboards. To access these operations, navigate to the appropriate dashboard page and then select "Tools."
When you select "Tools" and then "Copy Dashboard," you will be taken to the same screen you see when creating a dashboard. The only difference is that the "Start From" field will be filled in with the current dashboard. You will need to give the new dashboard a name. Optionally, you can enter a description, set whether the new dashboard is a favorite, and set up sharing of the dashboard with other users (for more information on these fields, see Create Dashboard Fields). Once you select "Add," a new dashboard will be created with same gadgets, layout, and look as the dashboard that was copied.
If you select "Tools" and then "Edit Dashboard," you will be taken to the same screen you see when creating a dashboard. You can then adjust the name, description, favorite status, and/or sharing of the dashboard (for more information on these fields, see Create Dashboard Fields). You can only create dashboards that you own (you automatically own any dashboard you create).
If you select "Tools" and then "Share Dashboard," you will be taken to the same screen you see when creating a dashboard. You can then adjust the sharing of the dashboard (for more information on the share fields, see Create Dashboard Fields). You can only adjust the sharing on dashboards that you own (you automatically own any dashboard you create).
If you select "Tools" and then "Delete Dashboard," you will be prompted to Confirm the delete. Once you select the "Delete" button the dashboard will be removed and cannot be recovered. You can only delete dashboards that you own (you automatically own any dashboard you create).
Searching for Dashboards
By default, any dashboards that you create