Is ASL and/or CART needed for your event?
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreting and Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) Flow Diagram text description
- If the event in question is related to a particular academic course and an accommodation is requested by a student in that course, ASL Interpreting or CART will be provided by the Office of Disability Services.
- If the event in question is not related to a particular course and all event announcement do not include instructions for requesting accommodations, always provide ASL Interpreting and CART.
- If the event announcements include instructions for requesting accommodations and the event will be attended by less than 100 participants, provide ASL Interpreting and/or CART when requested.
- If the event announcements include instructions for requesting accommodations and 100 or more attendees are expected, provide ASL Interpreting and CART.
- Add the following statement to ALL event announcements: If you require accommodations, please contact (contact person) at (contact information) by (date typically 1 to 2 weeks before event).
Advertising your Event
Include a statement on ALL event announcements or invitations. Sample wording:
If you need an accommodation in order to fully participate in this event, please contact [contact name] at [contact information] by (date typically 1-2 weeks before event).
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please contact [name] at [voice and/or TTY phone numbers]; [fax]; or [e-mail]. Requests should be made at least [specific time period] prior to the event.