Oversize and Miniature (Mini) Criteria and Treatment
What is Oversize?
Oversize is determined by height or width. If either of the measurements is larger than the standard measurement for that location, it is oversize. For example, a book with a G classification that measures 23 x 35 would be placed in oversize. This example is true for all locations.
Bird oversize definitions:
- 30-41 cm is oversize -- location is normal location for that call number in Bird, subfield k OVERSIZE, then call number.
- 42+ cm is flat - location is one of the bird,xl4 codes and the call number. (There is no |k)
- For call numbers M (not ML or MT) or N-NX oversize begins at 36 cm.
- For M3 only, oversize is over 38 cm.
- Atlas Oversize is 31-50 cm
- Width of shelves in Atlas Collection is 23 cm. Anything 23 cm and over in width goes to Atlas Oversize. Holdings location is maps,atlsf (Atlas measuring 28 x 24 would go to Atlas Oversize)
- Atlas flat is over 50 cm. The mfhd location for an atlas flat is maps,atlsh
- Per map librarian, if oversize Atlas item is unable to stand without flopping over, make it flat.
Carnegie oversize definitions:
- 31-38 cm is oversize -- location is carn,over, subfield k OVERSIZE, and call number.
- 39-74 cm is flat - location is carn,xl Subfield k is FLAT and the call number.
- The special TR oversize in Carnegie is obsolete as of June 21, 2017. DO NOT USE LOCATION carn,trovr.
ARR oversize definitions:
- 32-36 cm is oversize -- location is arr subfield k OVERSIZE then call number.
- 37 cm is oversize flat - location is arr Subfield k is FLAT and the call number.
Other Oversize Facts
- There is no oversize for any ref location.
What is Miniature?
For all locations, books with a height of 17 cm or less are to be considered mini.
Previously, mini books were cataloged with their own location in Fine Arts Limited Access. This practice ceased August, 2012.
Current practice: miniature items should be sent to Preservation for casing. Once returned, barcode the item once on the case, note 2 parts in the item record, and set the location to where you would place the book normally (carn, bird,p, etc.) There is no special location for minis.