Who should I expect to see?
For Faculty/Staff with Exchange mailboxes, the Global Address lists will encompass the following populations:
- Currently Active Staff and Faculty, with Exchange mailboxes
- Currently Active Students, with Office 365 mailboxes
- Resource mailboxes managed by IT Staff (Equipment and Rooms)
- Distribution lists managed by IT Staff
- Contacts for external recipients that do not have Exchange mailboxes, also managed by IT staff
How to distinguish between people with similar names?
Due to the large number of users that appear in our global address list, it can seem overwhelming when searching for the appropriate individual, especially when names may be similar. Here are some ways to help distinguish who's who:
- Search for a person by using additional attributes, such as last name, department, or title (Outlook only).
- Distinguish between person's with similar names by using their "Title".
- Use the sub-address lists to narrow your view to either Staff/Faculty or Students.
Search for a person by using additional attributes, in Outlook.
- Open the Global Address List using the Address Book button in the Outlook ribbon bar
- Once the address book is open, click on the Advanced Find link to open the following window.
Distinguishing between people using their Titles
All Faculty and Staff have their associated business titles (as provided by HR) populated in the Global Address List. For Student accounts, titles are all set to "Student" to help delineate who they are.
Example of Address List viewing in the Outlook desktop client
Example of Address List viewing in Outlook Web Access.
Using sub-address lists to narrow your view
There are two sub-address lists that can be used to narrow your view of our active population.
- All Faculty/Staff
This includes all Active Staff and Faculty members with Exchange mailboxes.
- All Students
This includes all Active Students with Office 365 mailboxes.