Downloadable VPA HR Payroll Procedures [PDF]



This document describes the College of Visual and Performing Arts (the College) human resource and payroll procedures.

Procedures detailed herein are supplementary to those established by Syracuse University (SU) and published on the relevant University website or other medium, including but not limited to the Human Resources and Payroll web sites.

The intended audience for this document is the faculty and staff of the College.


NameTitleEmail AddressPhone
Christina EiffeSenior Director, Budget & Operationscaeiffe@syr.edu315-443-4782

Maria Maloof

Christina Williams

Budget Manager

Budget Manager



Melissa Chirico-BrownOperations Assistantmrchiric@syr.edu315-443-4728
Marie NygardOffice Coordinatormenygard@syr.edu315-443-4381


The VPA Office of Budget & Operations is located in 204 Crouse College. The office operates according to the University's published hours for administrative offices: Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm during the academic year, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm during the summer, and is closed for holidays as published by the University's Office of Human Resources. 

Staff Request to Hire

When there is a need to hire a permanent staff member, the hiring manager should complete or update the Position Evaluation Request (PER) and submit to the VPA Senior Director of Budget and Operations. The PER template can be found on Answers. The most recent PER for an existing position may be requested from the VPA Senior Director of Budget & Operations.

The completed PER form will be submitted to the central HR Compensation team for their review and grading of the position. HR Compensation will forward the request to the central Office of Budget & Planning for review, and then to the Provost & Syracuse University Director of Budget & Planning for approval. Once approved, the hiring manager will work directly with the central HR Talent Acquisition team to fill the position.

 An I-9 form and background check MUST be completed through the central Human Resources office before the employee can begin working. 

Temporary Employee Request to Hire

A temporary employee may be requested for positions that work on an as-needed basis (i.e. casual temporaries such as models and accompanists), or the position is expected to last for a short, pre- established period of time (i.e. interim until a permanent position is filled). Temporary employees are both non-student and non-SU student employees. The first step in hiring a temporary employee is to complete a Temporary Employment Request form which can be found on Answers. This form should be submitted toand approved by the Director/Chair and forwarded to Once the VPA Budget Manager has approved the request, VPA Budget & Operations will work with HR Talent Acquisition and the Department to fill the position.

An I-9 form and background check MUST be completed through the central Human Resources office before the employee can begin working. 

Student Employee Request to Hire 

Student employment is reserved for SU students only. To request a student employee (this includes IA positions), a Student Employee Request form must be completed and can be found on Answers. The department Director/Chair shouldreview this request and forward their approval to The request will be reviewed by the VPA Budget Manager before processing.

It is strongly encouraged to hire SU students that have Federal Work Study (FWS) funds available. If you need to verify FWS, please email or call 315-443-4381.

If you prefer to search a student position, please complete the hire request form and forward to along with approval by the department Director/Chair. Once approved, the position will be posted in Handshake. The hiring manager will work directly with VPA Office of Budget & Operations and applications will be forwarded on for review. Once a candidate has been selected, please send information in to and VPA Office of Budget & Operations will notify the department when the student is able to begin work.

An I-9 form MUST be completed through the central Human Resources office before the employee’s first day worked. 

Graduate Assistant (GA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) student hiring requests should be submitted to theunit Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) and the Chair/Director for review and approval and are processed by the VPA Graduate Recruiting Specialist. 

New Employee Information 


The SUID is a nine-digit number unique to each employee, and is imprinted on the physical Syracuse University identification card. SUIDs for new hires are created by central Human Resources on receipt of a completed Personal Identification Form (PIF). Visit the Housing, Meal, and ID Card Service Center located on Main Campus at 206 Steele Hall. Provide your SUID or Social Security Number AND a picture identification such as a valid driver’s license or passport. You may be asked to provide a copy of your signed offer letter as well. Your picture will be taken and your identification card provided to you. 

 I-9 Form

The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires all U.S. employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all new employees, citizens and non-citizens alike. All employees must complete an I-9 on their first day, or prior to their first day scheduled to work. The I-9 form is completed at the central Human Resources offices located at either Steele Hall (on campus) or the Skytop office building (south campus). Student employees complete the I-9 virtually, so they will receive a unique link to their email from LawLogix to complete the I-9 once their jobs are activated. A list of necessary documents needed to complete the I-9 can be found on the Human Resources website.


The NetID is an alphanumeric string composed of elements from the employee or student’s full name. NetIDs are created once the SUID is assigned. New employees will be sent confirmation of SUID and instructions for activating NetID. Each employee or sponsored affiliate is responsible for activation of their NetID on the ITS Self-Service web site. Once the NetID is activated, resources such as email, MySlice access, and network home storage are provisioned.

Each user has an associated University email address of the form <NetID> Email for faculty and staff addressed to the official email address is delivered to a University provided Microsoft Exchange mailbox. Email addressed to students is delivered to a Microsoft Office 365 SUmail mailbox.

As per University policy, NetID passwords must be changed annually and may not be shared. For more information on University policies governing computer accounts, please refer to the SU Policies web site. 

Acknowledging Your Pay Notice

1)     You will receive an email from central Human Resources alerting you to log into MySlice using your NetID and password.

2)     Locate “Employee Services” in the center column. Under the “HR/Payroll” heading, click the link “View My Pay Notice."

3)     Follow the instructions to maneuver through the pay notice and acknowledgement process.

4)     Pay Notices must be acknowledged in a timely manner.

Purchase Parking Pass 

Visit the Parking and Transit Services office located on South Campus at 621 Skytop Road, Suite 190- 09 to secure an on-campus parking pass. Please bring your signed offer letter if one has been provided to you. A parking services coordinator will discuss available parking options with you. Also bring your vehicle information: make, model, year, and color, along with your license plate number. In order to park on campus you must purchase an appropriate parking pass. Parking and Transit Services will issue a ticket to any vehicle that does not display the appropriate parking pass. 

Complete Tax Withholding Information

  1. Log into MySlice using your NetID and password.
    1. Locate “Employee Services” in the center column. Under the “Tax Withholding” heading, click the link “View/Update My Federal Tax.”
    2. Complete and submit.
    3. Click the link in the upper left corner “View/Update My NY State Tax.”
    4. Complete and submit.
    5. If you are working within New York City, click the link “View/Update My NYC Tax.”
    6. Complete and submit.
      1. Worksheets are provided on MySlice to assist you with completing these forms. If you have questions, please contact the central HR Service Center at either 315-443-4042 ext 1 or

Set up Direct Deposit  

  1. Log into MySlice using your NetID and password.
  2. Locate “Employee Services” in the center column. Under the “Employee Self Service” heading, click the Payroll tile. A menu will appear on the left; click on Direct Deposit.
  3. Add your bank account details.
  4. This will allow you to choose to have both your pay and any reimbursements direct deposited to your bank account.


VPA utilizes MySlice for all non-exempt employees (except student employees) to track their time worked. To record time, log in to MySlice and click on the "Human Resources and Payroll Services" box under Employee Services. Click on Time, record actual hours worked and submit.Student employees use Time Clock Plus to clock in and out in real time. TCP can be accessed through MySlice by going to Employee Home, selecting the Time tile, and then Time Clock on the left-hand side. If students miss a punch, they should notify their supervisor right away or send the missed punch to Student employees can enter sick time through MySlice using the same steps as all other non-exempt employees.

Supervisors must approve all time entry by 12:00 p.m. Thursdays.

ALL overtime will require PRIOR approval from the Director of Budget & Operations or the VPA Budget Manager. This includes positions that are normally scheduled to work 37.5 hours/week but will need to work above their standard hours.

If you experience problems with submitting time please call 315-443-4728 or 315-443-4381 for assistance during normal business hours. If your problem occurs after business hours, please email explaining your issue and how best to contact you.

Time Off Request

Exempt staff should request time off with direct supervisor. Approved time off should then be recorded on timesheet in MySlice.

Additional Pay Request 

When a department needs to pay an employee (faculty, staff or student) for extra service beyond the scope of their regular appointment, they must submit an Additional Pay Request form. This form can be found on Answers. Once the Director/Chair hasapproved the extra service payment, the form should be forwarded to for VPA budget approval and processing. 

Other Helpful Information

Syracuse University has upgraded to LinkedIn Learning to help you explore thousands of business, tech, and creative courses to get the skills you need. A full user's guide has been provided by LinkedIn Learning. Note that users attempting to visit the former URL,, will be redirected to the LinkedIn Learning login page. 

Websites for Further Information

Syracuse University Policies
Syracuse University Human Resources
Syracuse University Payroll
LinkedIn Learning